Author Topic: Avril Grayson report  (Read 2639 times)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Avril Grayson report
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:07:22 am »
Just a quick note to sat Vern Grayson dropped by the shop yesterday to say Avril was doing fine and on the improve. Looks like she'll make a great recovery.
We last saw them around xmas and she looked well and had her cheeky glint in eye even then.
Let's hope it stays that way.

firko

Re: Avril Grayson report
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:40:50 am »
Yep, it seems that Averill is going ahead in leaps and bounds. I spoke to her just after Christmas and she was in really good spirits. Vern has been as worried as all shit over her health, affecting his own spirit but now he seems to be up and at 'em again, promising to join old champs Matt Daley, Brian Clarkson and Per Klitland in the Kevlar Kompound at CD7. Whith a bit of luck (and encouragement) he may be able to drag the famous old Cheney Triumph out from behind the aeroplane project to have a couple of skids for old times sake.

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:16:39 am »
Sounds like a really good plan - so let's keep at him.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 07:12:25 pm »
I should probably bring my MX400B to CD7 for the old boy to have a ride on, I know its one of his favourite bikes to ride.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:45:33 am »
Crikey Davey, I'm not sure his teeth are up to that :D
I'll see if he wants to drive my Wasp as well.

firko

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 10:18:27 am »
I might as well put Per on my Maico for an old champs scratch race between Matt Daley on Husky Petes Husky, Clarko on Jonesys American Eagle/Alron and old Vernon on the Cheney. It'd be 1971 revisited!

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:15:55 pm »
For those that don't know Vern and Avril, Vern was Qld quickest guys in the early 70's and when I knew him he rode Yamahas for Annand & Thompson and later was very quick on a Norton Wasp.
I have a program from Echo Valley from that era and the top riders are all from south and contains the likes of the Flood brothers et al... and Vern was 4th in very good company-so he was never a slouch. 

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 07:19:40 pm »
I remember Vern racing in Victoria in the early 70's on a Husky Use to turn up at the races in a XJ6

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 09:48:08 pm »
I keep tellin' youse there's money in here somewheres!!

211kawasaki

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 07:47:49 pm »
Go Averil, single minded powerful woman that and thats how you suvive it.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 08:14:07 pm »
I might as well put Per on my Maico for an old champs scratch race between Matt Daley on Husky Petes Husky, Clarko on Jonesys American Eagle/Alron and old Vernon on the Cheney. It'd be 1971 revisited!

Good thinking, Firko. Just make sure you tell him...NO T-BONES !!
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

firko

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 11:00:03 pm »
Vern  Grayson rang me this evening to pass on the fantastic news that Averill is off the cholestomy bag and now has all her plumbing back in action. He told me that the doctors are confident that she was now 100% in the clear from cancer that had knocked her around so badly. Considering how severe her condition was this is an amazing piece of news and it was great to hear the happiness back in Verns voice, something I hadn't heard in quite a long time.

With cancer affecting the lives of a surprising number of people on this forum as well as taking out our mate Magoo it's so good to see positive result for a change. That's why we'd like to see as many vintage racers from all corners of our sport turn up and support cancer research and Magoos family at the Penrith Clubs Annual Charity dirt track meeting at Nepean Raceway in August.
(sorry about the thread deviation but it's a good place to plug a good cause)

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 09:32:06 am »
As you say Firko-great news. She's one tough bird and I expected no less. And yes it did knock Vern around but he's back on track so to speak.