Author Topic: 83 CR 250 Sprocket shaft  (Read 1851 times)

Offline rtb

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
83 CR 250 Sprocket shaft
« on: March 14, 2010, 09:32:18 pm »
Hello VMX members, I have some questions that I hope you may have some answers to.

Firstly the sprocket shaft on the engine is very hard to turn when in neutral, with the chain on turning the rear wheel is very hard and it feels like something is binding. I have looked at the problem all day but I keep coming up with a blank. I have taken the clutch apart and taken the clutch basket off the bike and the shaft spun freely but it also spins the shaft that runs down the middle of the clutch. Looked at my mates XC 250 on its side and took the clutch cover off and it all looks the same inside from the clutch side. Have you or anybody you know ever come across this before? And if you have how can it be fixed.

The other problem I have is that there is no spark. Put the ignition in set the timing mark and put in a new spark plug no spark. A mate grabbed the lead and an allen key no spark. How do you check the spark coming out of the coil?

The ignition coil I have is red with a red lead.

Any help would be appreciated as I hope to race it and beat my mate next weekend!!!!

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
Re: 83 CR 250 Sprocket shaft
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 05:05:52 pm »
I have an answer to one of your problems....take the seal carrier off the shaft....make another gasket ( thicker)...then put the seal carrier back on..with plenty of goo.....should be problem...solved...I have had this happen before....too much "tension" on the bearing in the case at the countershaft... :)

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:50:15 pm »
Hi RTB.  Check the following for the missing spark

1) Fit a new spark plug - Champion NC3 recommended.
2) Make sure the kill switch is not the problem.  Disconnect it and check if spark returns.  I run a separate earth wire to the HV coil mount from the kill switch. Painted handlebars and rubber bar mounts make the earthing tricky.
3) Husky's need a good earth on the coil.  Make sure the coil mount to the frame is bare metal - scrap any paint off to ensure good earth. Also make sure the engine mount to the frame has no paint insulating the engine from the frame.  Scrape paint off the frame. You can also run a temporary wire direct from coil to engine to ensure a good earth for testing purposes.
4) Try a new plug cap. Make sure it is attached to the lead correctly.
5) Check the wires from the Motoplat are not broken or poorly attached of bare wires touching each other.
6) Send the Motoplat with its flywheel and HV coil to Betta Bikes in South Australia to be tested and repaired.

Has the spark recently gone away or is it the first time you have tried to get the bike running?
Good luck
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline rtb

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 07:56:51 pm »
Good News,

The Champ Brownie has pulled the engine apart and put the gearbox together and it selects gears and no binding on the output shaft.

What a legend.

Sorted the electrics and can't wait to bolt it back into the frame and turn the tap on and give it a kick in the guts.

Thanks for your concerns and hints.