Author Topic: Two CCM on ebay  (Read 9547 times)

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Two CCM on ebay
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 12:56:05 pm »
Ah yes, ive been considering buying that book, but i just want sure whats covered in it.

If you can't get hold of one I think I know where I can borrow one. Don't get caught like me and order Rolling Thunder from a book shop without checking if it's the correct one as I ended up with Rolling Thunder the Harley book.

Stan.

All Things 414

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 12:58:31 pm »
Don't get caught like me and order Rolling Thunder from a book shop without checking if it's the correct one as I ended up with Rolling Thunder the Harley book.

:D :D :D

firko

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 01:27:23 pm »
Hi, I'm sure there is good shots of the 80 and 81 models in the CCM story "Rolling Thunder" if anyone has a copy.
I just auctioned off a reproduction copy of the rare early edition of  Rolling Thunder for the Magoo fund. The new edition has just been released . It's without doubt one of the better books on motocross I've read. It gets into some good detail. Jonesy has a '74 CCM fitted with an ex Lester Rowley 580 engine that will hopefully make a reappearance at CD7. He also has a NOS 4V head, still in the box.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolling-Thunder-CCM-Motorcycles-The-Odyssey-Book-NEW_W0QQitemZ300391562523QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_NonFictionBooks_NonFictionBooks_SM?hash=item45f0bb7d1b

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 04:01:55 pm »
Hi,
Rolling Thunder book is regarded highly with respect to the photos of how they are meant to look, but trying to find technical details is a lot harder, I've yet to see two bikes that look the same, the B50 website has a few photos , but if you go to the "Thumper Pilot " web site and follow the link to CCM there are a lot of bikes in there, I suppose most thirty five year old race bikes  have been altered, modified, and uprated more than once by now.
cheers   

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 11:05:08 pm »
Don't get caught like me and order Rolling Thunder from a book shop without checking if it's the correct one as I ended up with Rolling Thunder the Harley book.

:D :D :D

As per this photo.
Regards
Stan.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 09:20:10 am »
G'day Stan and anyone else with experience of a 79CCM 4 valver,
From the photos I see you campaigned a 79CCM at one stage with the 4 valve head. Am thinking about building a 79 but the boys in the UK reckon maintenance can be an issue with the 4 valve heads. What were your experiences. It interesting about the maintenace because my MK 1 Weslake 4 valve head looks identical to the CCM one I have, so I don't understand what issues may arise.

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 10:59:27 am »
G'day Stan and anyone else with experience of a 79CCM 4 valver,
From the photos I see you campaigned a 79CCM at one stage with the 4 valve head. Am thinking about building a 79 but the boys in the UK reckon maintenance can be an issue with the 4 valve heads. What were your experiences. It interesting about the maintenace because my MK 1 Weslake 4 valve head looks identical to the CCM one I have, so I don't understand what issues may arise.

Gday Rosco,
Yes I did ride race one for a season when pre 80's and classics were together in Vic.
I did not find maintenance any worries at all. They definately need better guides and seals but outside of that I checked the clearances after each race meet and they didn't move much at all. I am no Weslake expert but the head on the CCM looked very much like a mk 1 weslake. If you need anything else just give me a PM and I will give you my number. By the way my best mate still has the bike and we hope to restore it soon.

Regards
Stan.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 11:17:41 am »
Quote;by 1976 engines of 500,545 and 580cc capacities were available.Each of these could be fitted with four valve power boosting cylinder heads(designed by Westlake in 1978) in an attempt to keep up with the Japanese machines and the prevailing two strokes.
By 1980-,obviously feeling "if you cant beat them,join them" CCM added a brace of 125 and 250 cc Italian Hiro two strokes to the range.  8)
cheers

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Weslake/index.php?act=SC&c=3
not sure if this is much help to you  8)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:18:04 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline jackiemac

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 05:27:42 pm »
With all the photos I have taken,  I don't recall a ccm being one of them ???, it would be great to see one out on the track 8)

Keep Smiling :)
Jackie Mac
Be kind to your neighbour!!

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 09:53:56 pm »
The new edition has just been released . It's without doubt one of the better books on motocross I've read. It gets into some good detail.

Gday Mark, thanks for the heads up on the new Rolling Thunder book. I ordered it about 7 days ago from England and it turned up today. It appears to have everything from the original plus a lot more. I am very happy with it.

Regards Stan.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:58:50 pm by Stan S »