Author Topic: YZ125J What's it worth?  (Read 1541 times)

maicoman

YZ125J What's it worth?
« on: January 23, 2009, 12:03:25 am »
I have a YZ125J which is a unfinished project. At present the frame has been repainted . I have all the original plastics for the bike in very good condition. If sold it would come with a ute load of spares, motors, wheels, forks etc. I ask because I might be having a clean up. Obviously it is probably worth more put back together but some idea would be useful. ???

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: YZ125J What's it worth?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 12:14:50 am »
Another forum member sold his race-ready one for ~$1200 a year or two back.
Snowy76 just sold a clean, running 125H for a bit under $1000.

The spares won't add a lot of value to the bike (if the bits on the bike are in good nick, why would the buyer need three spares?) - but they seem to make old bikes a lot easier to sell.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

maicoman

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 01:41:30 pm »
I was only thinking of spares as a package. Handy if you decide to race it.

ted

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 04:24:07 pm »
Nathan,
Under $1,000.00...check
Running....check
Clean...PFFT........That bloody Birko could have detailed it for me
Buy of the year in my opinion...Thanks Mark

abwr360

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:42:30 pm »
Hi, I need a set of  good forks????

mainline

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:10:11 pm »
I was talking to someone at work about this today, and to Vandy and YZ250H the other day at the Nudgee practice day. That is, the value of a running bike vs a complete basket case. I know it's a can of worms scenario given that a complete bike may have all the correct parts, but then again so might a box of bits.

A running bike might need a complete rebuild in the same way as the aformentioned box of bits, but people pay way more for a complete "running" bike than they would for a disassembled bike that also needs a rebuild. Chances are all the consumables, tyres, chain, chain guides, bearings etc need replacing anyway.

As Mr Vandy said the other day, people think you're mad for starting a project with a pile of parts, but at the end of the day, if you've done it right, you should have a reliable bike that you know from back to front.

sorry Maicoman if I've stuffed your thread, it just seemed to be the exact scenario that we'd been talking about recently.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:17 pm »
Raising the dead /= stuffing.

But you've brought up some interesting points. I think that people like complete bikes because they can see exactly what's there/missing. Its like some sort of emotional soother - they can look at it and say "that bit's wrong, that bit is rooted, that bit needs a lot of work" etc, but they can see a complete bike and a lot of the anxiety flows away.
I'm regularly amazed at how many knowledgable/mechnically competent people freak out at the sight of a bike in bits - even when its just something like a complete motor removed from a frame.

Was talking to a bloke a few months ago, who reckons that he'd never buy anything that was 'rebuilt' because it would always cost more to buy, but (on average) would cost just as much to get up to spec as a ratty old dunger.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.