Author Topic: New Magazine  (Read 1360 times)

firko

New Magazine
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:28:21 am »
For those of you wondering what Andy Wigan's getting up to after his departure from ADB and Australian Consolidated Press here's the big announcement of his new gig, set to kick off mid year. It's an interesting concept but in an already pretty crowded local market it'd want to be pretty good. I hope I'm proven wrong but I doubt there'll be much vintage content.

TT

Re: New Magazine
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:53:33 am »
I think your comment about an already crowded market is pretty right, but I also think the age group that (I assume) this mag may be aimed at, would probably buy it anyway.
I remember my old man asking me why I bought, Dirt Bike, ADB and MXA when they all had similar content.

suzuki43

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 03:44:52 pm »
I think the title "Lack of Traction" will be more appropriate.
Racerx is the only modern mag worth reading in my opinion.ADB Dirt Action et.al are all vanilla copies of each other.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 04:28:24 pm »
It's funny that. I do read DA and ADB, but they are sooo light weight. Dirtbikes Lite?

And each issue they are reflections of each other with the same tests and often even the same general articles. Very formulaic - a couple of topical tests, a workshop article, a trailriding article, a fitness article, and whatever the overseas contributors sent this month.

And it might be just me, but the tests are woeful. They rarely have anything in depth. Just read an ADB test from the early 80s, so much more info, detail, tech stuff and seat of the pants opinions.

I'll be interested to see what Traction has to offer....

Offline Scunge

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:46:19 pm »
Speaking of new-iss magazines, does anyone know what happened to Stroke magazine?

They had a couple of OK VMX/Mr Motocross stories and the picture clarity of the early few issues made it a stand out. Besides it was a welcome change from the most often dross of ADB (which I still buy mind you) and DA.

I fear that the declining paper stock, editor turn-over and reduced page counts that came each quarter might be "smoke signals" as to its likely demise.

Anyone know?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 06:07:20 pm »
Would of made the top shelf,if it had been released with our GOLDEN Olympic winners  :P, hope Traction magazine brings with it fresh air and no bull info. 8)

And each issue they are reflections of each other with the same tests and often even the same general articles. Very formulaic - a couple of topical tests, a workshop article, a trailriding article, a fitness article, and whatever the overseas contributors sent this month.
And it might be just me, but the tests are woeful. They rarely have anything in depth. Just read an ADB test from the early 80s, so much more info, detail, tech stuff and seat of the pants opinions.

It's the photography and catching the eye of the buyer  ;D
Best is in the West !!

albrid-3

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:18:18 pm »
There are to many dirtbike magazines on the market now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:20:27 pm by Dot »