Author Topic: modified vinduro bikes  (Read 18840 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: modified vinduro bikes
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2010, 08:59:31 pm »
I can't see it happening.

1. From the outset, Vinduros have been about doing it and having fun, without the hassles that strict eligibility brought to VMX.
2. Simply keeping 25+++ year old dirt bikes running means that 'modifications' will creep in, regardless of any rules.
3. Its non-competitive - the old "He's faster than me because he's changed his bike" is irrelevant.
4. There's already a big range of bikes, all in the one (non-competitive) 'class' - and 84 KTM250XC is still going to blow the doors off an enduroised CR125M, so who cares that the CR started life as an MXer?

The Vinduros I've been to have been low-stress fun. Let's keep it that way!
:)

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2010, 09:07:34 pm »
Yes I couldn't see them tighten up that much either if they did it should only be a set year like the pre85 and it should not include mods I am going to put a disc front end on one of my pe400's but it should still be eligable based on it is still the same bike no matter what mods I do to it.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2010, 09:52:25 pm »
I dont think there is any need to get stressed about vinduro rules at the moment. As long as its no newer than a 84 model enduro or trail bike or a properly modifed pre 85 MXer that is within the spirt of vinduro with period looking lights, rear fender, good muffler etc then i dont see there is any problem. You wont get knocked back if you have a nicely well thought out modified Mxer for vinduro. What they dont want is bare bones Mxers that look like they have just rolled off the trailer from a VMX race that barely meet the critera with just little tail light duct taped to the rear guard an some modern looking headlight roughly straped to the forks and still with the loud small mx muffler fitted. Thats what the organisers dont want to see, but im sure they have no issues if you have seriously gone to the effort to modify a Mxer they way people back in the day it, eg different fenders, preston petty lights, bigger mufflers, aftermarket tanks, bash plates etc etc.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2010, 07:47:44 am »
Thanks Leith, you've come up with the answer to the point I was trying to make, and made the most accurate and informative statement in this entire thread.

.............proper enduro bikes,whether modified or original.

.............pre '85

and as Nathan said........keeping old dirt bikes alive and having FUN

Roger

mx250

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2010, 08:09:03 am »
Rules, either VMX or Vinduro, should never stop anyone from restoring, riding or having fun ;) :). Rules should only stop someone from taking a trophy (and then only at the  most senior serious level  :-\).

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2010, 09:35:41 am »
There's a lot of speculation, opinion and discussion about vinduro eligibility, but ultimately what you have to do is check with the event organisers in your particular state.

That's a nice CR by the way.

The Vinduros I've been to have been low-stress fun. Let's keep it that way!

Agreed.

Tex