Author Topic: Cleaning Spokes  (Read 1355 times)

TT

Cleaning Spokes
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:51:14 pm »
The wheels/spokes on my DR400 have no corrosion at all, but are quite dirty and have what might be called light oxidisation on them. (I'm not much of a chemist).
What's the best way to rejuvinate them?
I imagine if I use something like steel wool, they will then rust down the track?
So is there some sort of magic tip to getting them looking good again?
Or should I just do the soap and water thing and leave it at that?
Sorry if it's a dumb question. I've only ever replaced spokes and not tried to restore them.

Doc?  :D

Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Spokes
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:00:02 pm »
I think it was the Doc who suggested this and it works.

Get an exfoliation glove, your wife will know what it is, and some polish. Autosolve or such.
The glove lets you get right into the spokes and there's not bits of rag getting in the way, the glove even come in pairs (as glove are known to do!) so you've got a spare.

have fun

Brent

The older I get, the faster I was

TT

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 07:38:48 pm »
Thanks Brent.
I lent over to Megan and asked her what an exfoliation glove was, and as luck would have it, she knew and will get me a couple.
The spokes look really good under the dirt, so hopefully they will come up good.
btw we're having your stinking weather down here at the moment.  :(

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 10:22:36 pm »
Another way to clean up your spokes is to use shoelaces.Get some wide ones from sneekers,coat them in your cleaning /polishing choice and wrap them once or twice around the spoke.They last for ages and dont fall apart like pieces of rag do.

TT

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:32:53 pm »
Thanks Moto. I have tried that but the shoes were too big to fit in between the spokes..................  :-\

Hang on............. I think I get it.................... do you remove the laces from the shoes first??????      :D :D :D

Sorry, I've a port or 2...............  ;)