Author Topic: Evo & Twinshock Magazine  (Read 5046 times)

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
Re: Evo & Twinshock Magazine
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 10:54:46 am »
The cheque's in the mail.... ;)

TM BILL

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 11:57:33 am »
You Blokes are a bit hard on CDB  ::) I dont know if its a loyalty to VMX mag or colloquial thing  ???
For me VMX mag is the best vintage publication (however that now has a large percentage of obscure stuff that does't butter my cracker ) but im happy to give the others a fair go.

If you dont like the  trials content dont buy it  ::) I got #13 last week theres not a lot of MX content but its a read  :)

Any magazine with one old MX bike in it is better than one without , just read around the stuff you dont like

Trials in the UK is and always has been a lot more popular than MX (personally it doesn't do it for me )

However if i had my time again though i would ride Schoolboy trials over Schoolboy MX as you will learn a lot more skills. A bloke in the know once said " to go fast, first you must learn to go slow properly"

I dont imagine the Antipodean market is one of their bigger markets just ask VMX how big the market share is over this way.

As for the new publication i will order a copy and look forward to another magazine that covers my interest  :)

Moto magazine is a good read  :) way better than most of the Yank or Aussie mags, Racer X is the only other one i buy  :)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 12:24:57 pm »
Is this the pommie one which has different era news  ???

Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 01:33:13 pm »
I got #13 last week theres not a lot of MX content but its a read  :)

what MX content there was in #13 was just the results of pommy events, Peter somebody won on a Maico, it was like throwing a starving Ethiopean a piece of wax fruit. Is anyone apart from me interested in the Editors el bloody cheapo Bultaco trials requild. I mean they are happy to take your subscription so should produce something of reasonable quality.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 01:50:00 pm »
If VMX isn't head and shoulders above all of the rest of the magazines that cover classic dirt bikes in production quality, variety and technical and historical accuracy I'll start reading Womens Weekly.
Any magazine with one old MX bike in it is better than one without
I agree and will continue to subscribe to them all but it's frustrating reading CDB knowing that it wouldn't take much to make it a lot better. It's as if they're producing it for a bunch of mates at the bike club, totally oblivious to the global market out there. It's not so much the trials oriented content that bothers me, I realise the popularity of classic trials in the UK. It's the "she'll do" attitude to the articles they do print. The bikes chosen are often a bit on the ordinary side, and the mix is a little off.

Issue 13 of CDB is a vast improvement on previous issues with a really good piece on a Greeves enduro. Unfortunately the issue is somewhat spoiled by an article featuring an Albin based Husky 500 4 stroke which follows up on the almost identical Monark featured in the previous issue. This is the lack of forethought that frustrates me as a reader and fan. Surely there is another interesting and totally different pre 65 bike they could have gone with to spread the variety a bit? It would have been nice to see an evo or pre 85 bike thrown into the mix instead of three page or four page boring race reports at are only interesting to those who follow such stuff. Knock a page off each report and you could fit another feature bike. Like I said, with a little planning they could get the mix right but they don't seem to be capable right now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:48:44 pm by firko »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 02:41:44 pm »
Put that Womens Weekly down... now ... Mark..... and that crossword book!!! ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

mainline

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 08:31:26 pm »
You Blokes are a bit hard on CDB   I dont know if its a loyalty to VMX mag or colloquial thing 

I suppose it's just that (in my opinion) the mag has gone downhill since the change of editors. I'm not just talking about the ratio of articles on trials bikes/events vs numbers of articles on VMX bikes/events, but also the the quality of the writing. Like Firko said, it's almost like they're publishing it for their mates.

And it's definately not just a pom bashing thing, given my country of origin ::) ;D