Author Topic: how do you make white guards white again  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: how do you make white guards white again
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 10:17:24 pm »
From what I've been able to figure out, there's at least two types of common domestic bleach: Hydrogen peroxide and sodium hypochlorite. I tried sodium hypochlorite and it was useless - I assume that the other type is the one to use, as plenty of people swear by the bleaching method.

I'm a big fan of the scraping method to revive oxidised plastics. Its been described in detail both in VMX mag and elsewhere on these forums, but basically, you use the back of a hacksaw blade (or similar) and scrape away the damaged plastic until you're left with good material. Then you can enter into the wet & dry, jiff, polish routine.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: how do you make white guards white again
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 10:51:37 am »
Absolutely amazing what can be restored by scrape, sand, jiff polish. If there have been stickers on the guard protecting it from the sun you get a perfect raised area of good plastic surrounded by the lower area of reduced thickness after scouring with the pot scourer.  When finished sanding and polishing put a replacement sticker on if you can get one and it looks great.  I dont bother trying to sand it down to match the rest of the plastic thickness.
I have one acerbis guard that now has a cool JT Racing raised lettering on it - looks like it was moulded in from new ;D ;D
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE