Author Topic: dt points to cdi swap  (Read 1219 times)

metalskin

dt points to cdi swap
« on: January 15, 2010, 12:50:18 pm »
im going to be swapping my points to cdi, but i need a bit of advice from people who have a bit of knowledge on the subject.

the bikes a 78 DT125E.

if i changed to cdi then it would be running 12v right? so i would need to change the battery/6v globes? anything else?

how exactly would it wire up, would i need to mod any wiring or is it virtually a straight swap?

i have a cdi stator/rotor from an it175j, it has 6 wires, is this in anyway usefull to me? from what i have read
there is 2 types of stators, one has 6 wires and the other has 7. would it be possible to use a dt cdi coil/box to it?
 or an it/yz or is the ignition timing way different?  cheers, Metalskin.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: dt points to cdi swap
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 01:09:21 pm »
If its a monoshock DT125 then use the whole CDI/Stator setup from the later model DT175 it should be an easy fit.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

metalskin

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 01:14:17 pm »
so this it175 stuff is of no use to me? is the later dt175 12v? cheers, metalskin.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 01:21:52 pm »
so this it175 stuff is of no use to me? is the later dt175 12v? cheers, metalskin.

The IT stuff is best for IT's , Early DT175's were 6volt and the the later (post 1986) were 12volt. The later stuff will fit too but you have to fit the 12 volt regulator/rectifier and change coil and bulbs to 12volt as well.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:51:14 am »
The IT-J stator is no use because it lives on the RHS side of the engine. So the flywheel spins the wrong way when fitted to your earlier DT motor...
At best, the bike will run like pooh. At worst, it won't run at all. Most likely is that it will run OK, but will run backwards (no kidding).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

metalskin

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 01:57:38 pm »
i assumed it was for a d/e/f model when i brought it as the seller said it was a left hand side cdi.

brought it off ebay a week ago, i probably should ask for a refund since it was wrongly advertised.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:54:17 pm by metalskin »