Author Topic: mighty mouse villiers  (Read 2199 times)

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
mighty mouse villiers
« on: June 07, 2010, 03:06:49 pm »
  Hi guys,anyone built or know of anyone who has built/building a "mighty mouse" pre 60/65 rigid trials bike using the little villiers 125,150,197 cc motors,in james,francis- barnett, excelsior etc configuration, Mick andrews did a test on rigid james and bantam specials in classic dirtbike(issue seven 2008)that really got me in,very small, light,simplistic machines that would be a ton of fun in the right conditions ,mainly after information on the villiers motors/excelsior rigid frame as thats my base any info much appreciated cheers

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
Re: mighty mouse villiers
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:50:45 pm »
Hi Huskibul, you may get some useful information on the following James website.
www.simplywizard.co.uk
It has details on their competition 197cc rigid frame trials bike, including a specs sheet.

I have been hoping to locate a later swing arm James/FB to set up as a pre60 scrambler with no luck so far.  Found one the other day but it was fully restored as a Captain road bike, and I'd hate to strip that back to put it on the dirt.

Cheers, Mike

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »
  Yeah thanks for that mike i will check it out,so do the later swingarms models only come in the 197cc?(is that the motor you will use)i know a few older blokes that are into the older stuff i'll put my ear to the ground for you .cheers

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 09:23:34 am »
If you want the basis of a villiers trials bike, check out the Ambassador basket case on Ebay.  No bids at $100.  I'd have a go at it just for the cycle parts, as I have a swing arm rear frame which may bolt on.  Trouble is, I'm in Brisbane and it's in Victoria, so it suddenly becomes an expensive basket case.
Could make a quite reasonable pre60 trials bike, if you are down that way, and feel that way inclined.
Mike

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 09:40:44 am »
  Hi mike,thanks for that ,but i picked up an excelsior ridgid frame at a swap a while back and  the motor is lined up,it's one of those back of the shed projects that you chip away at as the parts come up ,i'll keep you in mind if i come across anything for your scrambler, cheers