Author Topic: TS185 ignition question  (Read 2494 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
TS185 ignition question
« on: April 07, 2011, 06:57:34 PM »
Been trying to finish off converting my CZ to ts185 ignition but not 100% sure on how the marks on the flywheel & stator plate relate to the firing point
Should the middle mark on the flywheel line up with the mark on the stator where I want the bike to fire or are the lines meant to be lined up at TDC?
I'm planning on using a DTI with the head off to set the timing tomorrow night as I have spark at both plugs but can't get the bike started, had a couple of good kickbacks but no real attempts at starting
Any thoughts?

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: TS185 ignition question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »
going threw same frustration with my B44 electronic ignition.
Kick back normaly to far advanced?
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:00:21 PM »
I think you will find that you have to start from scratch and the only way you can do it is with a timing light. I had been going through the same shit fight with the ts185 in the twin pipe and due to too many projects and time spent already, it keeps on being pushed back. You will have to make your own marks as the ones on it are null and void. you will probably find you are way out as if you are even remotely close it will still start.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »
I've never used a timing light to set something up from scratch, do I mark the flywheel at the firing point so it lines up with the sidecover & see where it fires in relation to that then move the stator til the timing is correct & remark the stator for future reference?
As a precaution I managed to borrow a good flywheel to refit the points ignition if I can't sort it by thursday

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 09:14:22 PM »
Take the head off and put a dial gauge on the piston and find TDC. Then back it up the 2.6 or what ever it is millimetres before TDC and put marks on the flywheel and sidecover. Then its hit and miss as far as I know with getting the timing with a light right. If someone kicks while you watch the light , I think you might be able to work it out. With the twin pipe we had to cut new slots as it was a fair bit past the original adjustment slots. You wont get it right till it starts. I have memories of pushing mine and turning the stator plate around till it fired. Then its a point and shoot. Again, don't think you are limited to the slots as you may be way out and have to make new slots.

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
Instead of kicking it , hook a high gear and get somone to turn the rear wheel while you watch the timing marks with a timing light. do you have a timing light with adjustable advance ?

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »
Decided to put the points ignition back in to get wanganui & taupo out of the way & then work on sorting it out over the winter
We're really busy at work at the moment & I don't think I'll have enough time this week to be able to work my way through getting it working right as well as going over my sherco trials bike for our club's first championship round on sunday
What's your recommendation as far as a good timing light Bill?

TM BILL

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 02:08:49 PM »
I bought a good one from Auto One about 5or6 yrs ago for about $50. it has an induction clip to go on the plug lead and supplies its own power from a couple of dry cell batteries in the back of the light. Works like a beauty.
cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

TM BILL

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »
Static lights are good but a light with variable advance and a tacho make life a lot easier  ;)