Author Topic: TM250 Fork Dampers  (Read 1113 times)

Stewy138

TM250 Fork Dampers
« on: December 20, 2009, 09:20:40 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to disassemble some 74/75 (35mm) TM250 forks and I cant figure out how to hold the damper rod without turning.  Later Suzuki models have a socket within the top fo the damper and the 72/73 models have a different arrnagement again.

Grateful for any advice,

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
Re: TM250 Fork Dampers
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:29:20 pm »
if you have access to a impact gun
mount fork in vice on axle clamp lug
spin bottom bolt with gun while pulling away with the chrome
should work does for me  ;)
if it still spins you can jam a broom handle onto
top of damper rod (or something similar) ;)
follow me to first turn

Stewy138

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:23:23 pm »
Good tip thanks Rusty.
Andrew.

Offline marsman

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 10:18:15 am »
Ahhh...The old cant get the damper rod out ..havn't we all had that one more than once in a lifetime :-\.
Mate this may help , I dont have access to a rattle gun so I improvised this .. it's worked a real treat.
Take a tent pole 2cm OD approx. , take a disused socket ( I used an old 1/2 inch ) of 1.5 cm.OD
Take a klingon flux laser gun (or a hacksaw) and cut two sides out of the socket so that it fits over the flat sides of the top of the damper rod ( I have a TM 125 I assume the 250 would be the same ) also drill a hole in the top of the pole so you can insert a screwdriver to assist in stopping the pole from turning when you are undoing the bottom screw.
Now take a precision instrument (like a hammer , I have one of these instead of a rattle gun) and gently bash the crap out of it and  fit the socket snuggly into the bottom of the tent pole.
Insert tent pole/socket down fork tube and locate top of rod , hang on tight and use your allen key ( I found using another small dia. long socket /tube to fit over the end of the key will give you some extra leverage as well)   
"I know I was fast once ; but I just can't remember when"