Author Topic: what are the differences between a 125C and 125X ?  (Read 1786 times)

mainline

what are the differences between a 125C and 125X ?
« on: December 06, 2009, 02:01:39 pm »
I've been speaking to Nathan and Vandy about the 125C and X differences, is it mainly the aircap forks and 34mm vs 36mm or is there more to it?

If you were rebuilding a C are there upgrades that are worth doing along the way?

Cheers

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
Re: what are the differences between a 125C and 125X ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 08:05:24 pm »
DJ is your man Paul.  Send him a PM  ;)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 08:13:45 pm »
One was white, the other yellow.
but the seats & tanks from both models are well sort after ;D

Where's Nathan been hiding?
Has he been preoccupied with his cars?
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 08:36:41 pm »
i have got an x and also the owners sevice manual the c has 32mm carby and the x has a 34mm 310 main.
so far its just in the shed,if you arnt going to race it get a yz175 motor from the usa it has a little more low down power than the x
thats all i know at the moment

mainline

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 08:42:41 pm »
I think Nathan has been doing some gardening, at least he was when I rang him the other day.

I hadn't seen DJ on here for a bit so I didn't want to hassle him. I'm sure they're both lurking out there in the ether waiting for a thread that takes their fancy.

I'm hoping to have this one ready for CD to add to the YZ lineup and make the PE feel just a bit more of an outsider ;D

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 10:34:15 am »
The differences are the barrel, the ports are opened up a litttle more from the 'C' to the 'X'. The stator on the 'X' doesnt have the pulser coil, hence the different cover required on the X. The gearing is different as well. The main driven gear off the crank is different. A 520 chain on the X. The exhaust pipe on my 'X' is alot big than a 'C' but I'm unsure if it might be a YZ175C pipe.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

mainline

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 06:04:50 pm »
Thanks guys,

Vandy tells me the forks on mine are MX250, MX400 which is apparently a good thing. The upper legs are fairly average though.

Is the X all that much better than the C? By that I mean, is there much point in trying to improve any of the components on the C, or is it good enough as it is. I'm not going for any championships, I just want to know if there were any glaring faults that I should address while I'm rebuilding.

Thanks

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 01:15:27 pm »
The X's longer swing arm is worth fitting - I'd rate it as the single biggest difference between the way the two bikes ride. You want to X's stiffer shock spring to go with it. Can't recall if the shock is longer or not, but its definitely the same basic unit between the two bikes.

The other info is correct (porting, pipe stinger, carb, colour, forks/triples, muffler, ignition, ignition cover, chain/sprockets, rear hub). For the sake of accuaracy, the C has wheel rims with the external lip, while the X has straight sided rims.

I've not ridden with a stock X barrell, but apparrently they're quite peaky - fine for grass track, but a bit difficult otherwise. Then again, the 125F is supposed to be peakier still - so if you can handle the F, I doubt that the X will present any dramas.
My X has a ported C barrel on it, and its magic - usable bottom end, strong tractable midrange and reasonable top end, although its got no over-rev at all - rev it too hard and its like you've pulled the clutch in, hit the killswitch and ridden into thick goopy mud all at once... The peripherals seem to check out, so I'm figuring that its just a trait of the porting/pipe/etc.

Yes, I've up to my eyeballs in building the rally car, and now cleaning up my pig-sty of a yard (because The Boy is mobile and love to be outside... Wonder where he got that from? :) ).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mainline

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 06:13:13 pm »
alrighty, so keep the motor as is then, and maybe keep an eye out for an X swingarm & shock. I just checked the YZ125blog site and the shock is apparently a bit longer too.

The bike has a 30mm carb on it which Mr Vanderson says is stock, I've got a spare 32mm so I might try both.

Cheers again