Author Topic: RM Leading/Trailing Front Brake Identification  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RM Leading/Trailing Front Brake Identification
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 11:09:09 pm »
Ok I can live with a mistake once but I should point out its not Leigh its Leith and pronounced Layth.  Dont worry i get it all the time. Thankyou

As for the shoes i guess we shall see but i reckon they are machined down 30's or they are some aftermarket ones as obviously the catalogues vary one says 25mm wide and one 30mm.

Cheers Leith.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 12:40:30 pm »
Thanks for the help guys, but I can't help feeling that I have some people off-side.

From the outset I clearly stated the issue;
1.   I purchased the front brake hub (from a fellow forum member) under the belief that it was originally from a Twin Leading RM bike.
2.   I modified the unit to fit the WP drum brake lower knuckle and 84 RM125 wheel.
3.   I ordered a set of 84 RM Twin Leading Bendix brake shoes and subsequently they did not fit.
4.   This thread was created with as much info that I had plus detailed pictures asking for some help.
5.   It was quickly identified that it was not a RM Twin Leading set up, rather a Honda unit of some version.
6.   I was asked for the width of the shoes, which I provided.

I’m not sure what I have posted that has riled people to post some of the comments that are in this thread. If someone could please explain what it is that has them so cantankerous it would be appreciated as I don’t grasp what it is that I have written that would bring this about.

I started out totally in the dark now I am ½ way there as at least I know what brand it is, now I am just trying to establish what model it may be given the pieces I have. I don’t expect an answer such as (1982 CR480 SBS P/No:124X) just a basic idea of where to look.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 01:38:41 pm »
Leith,
Double checked the shoes and there is no evidence of machine work. The casting surfaces are consistent across the shoe. I have been told that I will have the hubs back from the Blaster/Powder Coaters tonight so I will measure the front hub, I’m just not sure that it will do much other than confuse the issue as it is a Suzuki hub. I also checked the SBS, BENDIX, EBC catalogues and they specify different width shoes ranging from 22 to 25 to 30mm but their X-reference guides point them back to each other so I guess that one of them has a typo, won’t know till I order a set and check the book Vs the actual part.

I have found over the years that the EBC book is pretty good and they list the following.
Checking the dimensions and pictures, the only Honda Twin Leading that uses a boss is the 327 series, but they list them as a 130 x 30, which co-incidentally is the same ID as the RM125/250/500 at 130 x 22. This would explain why I didn’t pick up that there was excessive clearance (or not) when I matching the parts up to the forks.

The anomaly in all of this is the shoes that I have are 25mm wide shoes where they should be (via EBC) 30mm.

HONDA
331/331G
CR125R    83 F&R
CR125R    84-85 R
CR250R    83-85 R
XR350R    83 F
CR480R    83 R
CR500R    84-85 R
130 x 22 (Utilising a pin to pivot the shoes)

HONDA
327/327G
CR250R    81- F
XR250R    Pro Link 81-82 F
CR450R    81 F
CR480R    82 F
XR500R    Pro Link 81-82 F
130 x 30 (Utilising a boss to pivot the shoes)

HONDA
328/ 328G
CR250R    82-83 F
CR480R    83 F
130 x 22 (Utilising a pin to pivot the shoes)
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 03:04:53 pm »
Hi Banshy, I am thinking I may have an answer for you?
It would be nice to know the drum diameter and the width of the shoe but first.
Cheers, Mick.
         Ah Bahnsy. I probably should have just looked up this link for you in the first place.
EBC MOTORCYCLE BRAKE GUIDE
          As you would realize now Bahnsy that with unsure model specifics the first thing a shop or a catalouge will ask you for, is the same for a bearing, seal or brake shoe. That is the basic nominal dimensions to accompany an image.
I had already resigned to wrap up my thoughts as I exit this topic once again with the same ending that I thought as before.

Best of luck with that Bahnsy,  I hope you sort it.

and I mean that,
      Merry Christmas, I hope everyone has a you bueat and safe Christmas, and that the next 2010 season of vintage racing is our best ever.                    
         Cheers, mick.     

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 03:19:43 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)