Author Topic: Can you solder, a alloy tank  (Read 4941 times)

DR

Re: Can you solder, a alloy tank
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 07:42:10 am »
5 minute Araldite is the go. It sticks better than any of those tank repair kits or epoxy fillers and is totally impervious to 'all' fuels and solvents. Welding is okay but you are always going to have heat wreck the paint and extra weld runs look out of place, with the Araldite you get it exactly where you want it, it's not such an obvious repair. I've repaired more thab a few tanks with the stuff and I can't praise it highly enough ;)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 10:06:11 am »
5 minute Araldite is the go. It sticks better than any of those tank repair kits or epoxy fillers and is totally impervious to 'all' fuels and solvents. Welding is okay but you are always going to have heat wreck the paint and extra weld runs look out of place, with the Araldite you get it exactly where you want it, it's not such an obvious repair. I've repaired more thab a few tanks with the stuff and I can't praise it highly enough ;)
I wish I had of known that one for the last thirty years ::) Thanks for sharing Doc, straight into the vault that one. Thanks, Mick.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 10:15:04 am »
I had a leak between the tap and plastic tank. Araldite was the go there too.

DR

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 11:55:20 am »
Mick, only trick to Araldite is it's best to use the 5 minute stuff. Can't remember why exactly but something within makes it work better than the regular stuff around solvents and fuels. On plastic tanks the Araldite fix maybe (would be) a little suspect due to flexing but around the tap area as Brad mentioned flexing wouldn't be as much of an issue. On steel or aluminium tanks it's perfect ;)