Author Topic: Jetting specs for Honda 89 CR500  (Read 3331 times)

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
Jetting specs for Honda 89 CR500
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:09:55 am »
I no this might be a long shot but i just got myself a 89 Honda CR500 thats in really good cond and that was
imported from the good ol US of A.
Only problem i have with it is that its sounds like its got a lumpy v8 cam on idle and when slowing down
it tends too pig root, other than that it runs fine..
It does have a california green sticker so i was thinkin that the jetting might have been
changed for high altitude riding ???
Or could it be the crank seals leakin air..???
Any help or info would be much appreciated
cheers Andrew  :)

Gravel Scratcher

Re: Jetting specs for Honda 89 CR500
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:51:58 pm »
You need to know the current jets and needles before you do anything....and have an idea of your altitude you will mainly be riding.
Stock carb is a PJ that is stamped PJ27C Factory specs were 2turns out on the air screw, clip in 3rd groove, pilot jet #55 main jet #170 with a R1370NS needle.
If that is the stock carb i'd be checking it for wear, after all its 20+ years old now. Replace it with a PWK39mm to really bring the motor to life

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:33:44 pm »
Thanks for all that info Gravelscratcher you might end up being a
lifesaver.
When i first got the bike i opened the carby up a had good look around in there,
it was a little bit dirty but surprisingly it looked new and had no wear marks what so ever
but it must be noted that the airfilter fell to bits when i touched it ...
Its got a new twinair filter inside it now.
Bikes now been put away for a while until i get over the tendonitis in my elbow but
next time i pull her out ill definetly be changing the jetting specs to what you have provided...
Cheers Andrew 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:35:43 pm by Andrew vmx »

Gravel Scratcher

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:12:54 pm »
Don't forget Honda specs will pretty rich and fat in general, you will have to play with them a bit to get them to sing.