Author Topic: YZ G/H rear Spring vs Yz J  (Read 1734 times)

yz490rules

YZ G/H rear Spring vs Yz J
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:44:47 am »
Hi,

Does anyone know if this NOS J spring would fit a YZ465G shock?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320440018491&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks,

Stephen

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: YZ G/H rear Spring vs Yz J
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:14:14 pm »
Probably would fit but wouldn't work too well . one is non linkage one is linkage so spring rate would most likely be off.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:42:41 pm »
I seem to recall the overall ratio (wheel movement:shock movement) was very similar for the G/H vs J.
This woul suggest that the spring rates would be similar.

Can't really see if the J spring is progressive like a stock G/H spring - that would be the main thing I'd worry about.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 12:48:52 pm »
I had an ohlins for a J the spring was not progressive

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 09:42:03 pm »
If I remember correctly the J spring is shorter than the H spring, I fitted a H spring to a J shock an had to have extra grooves machined into the shock body to mount the longer spring.
The J springs don't work on the cantilever system, they are a flat rate and are much stiffer than the standard H spring, to allow for the linkage ratio.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:43:53 pm »
The best set up I ended up with was a dual rate springs, can't remember what they where though.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:47:12 pm »
If I remember correctly the J spring is shorter than the H spring, I fitted a H spring to a J shock an had to have extra grooves machined into the shock body to mount the longer spring.
The J springs don't work on the cantilever system, they are a flat rate and are much stiffer than the standard H spring, to allow for the linkage ratio.

Thats it.

madpugs

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 10:12:56 pm »
Just bought a yz465h, and it appears to have a J shock in it. looks like this will be for sale, any1 want it?  and does any1 have a H rear shock?

yz490rules

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 11:19:38 pm »
I guess I should just stay with the 3r5 origional.  If you get them sand blasted can you use powder coating on them or does it just crack off.....

Stephen