Author Topic: Shiny DC plastics?  (Read 3906 times)

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Shiny DC plastics?
« on: October 30, 2009, 08:36:57 pm »
I know its a well worn topic but has anyone had a try at making DC plastics look shiny (sanding and polishing maybe?) Ive bought a rear guard from them and it fits well its the right shape but a ice cream container has a better finish and no yamaha dont have any rear guards left for a 82 yz125 :-[

ted

Re: Shiny DC plastics?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 09:12:23 pm »
My 81 DC plastics are fine

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 09:25:53 pm »
I would be happy enough with it but Ive got a NOS front guard to compare it to I just want to try make look similar to the front.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 09:45:04 pm »
Having scraped, sanded and polished a few tanks and guards I imagine it is possible. However, unless it's a museum piece (concourse resto) I wouldn't bother. As far as I can tell, no-one notices amd you won't really care after the first five minutes on the track!

TwoTees

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 09:53:19 pm »
I just got some for my RM and they have like an Orange peel finish. A mate has a set of DC's that he has had for a few years for his YZ G and they are a lot better. Stickers wont even stick to mine. I thought of polishing them but I think the plastic is too soft and you wont get a shine. I cut the front number plate to a better shape and just rubbed the edge on the mat in the shed to smooth the burs off the edge and it left yellow lines on the carpet like a crayon.
The amount of money they charge for these I think they should be a lot better than they are.

Have you seen the guy selling Yamaha guards on Ebay from England? They look tops and at a great price.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Yamaha-YZ490-1982-85-Front-Fender-Mudguard-White-Q327W_W0QQitemZ390110194352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item5ad4612ab0#ht_6424wt_940

Check out his other items, he remakes heaps of stuff.

Chris

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 10:11:48 pm »
Yeah I saw those as well Ive asked him if he will be doing any rear guards, sidecovers etc I'll post his reply.

Mick

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 10:30:53 pm »
That does look good, I would like one to suite a YZ 125 G which is the same guard in white they use on the IT 175 G ,,,,,a guard with good edges and shines,  O and even has the holes for fitting, Perfect  :)  DC plastic's offer none of that  :P

Cheers Mick.

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 07:19:45 am »
I got a reply back from yuniparts nothing concrete but worth keeping an eye on.

Hi - getting a lot of requests...! We will have to see how it goes; the hope is there! Kind regards,Andrew

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 08:30:05 am »
Gday,
I have contacted Andrew from Yuni Parts regarding IT plastics. Basically, he needs 200-300 sales per mould to make it worthwhile. He is very receptive to the idea of making quality OEM plastics. On the IT forum we are putting a poll together so he can see how much interest there is. He has stated that he going to see how the sales of those beautiful white guards go into next year as a gauge. He's doing them in IT blue late this year. My advise, if you need a front guard, buy it from him to generate cash flow for him, and he will see the interest. Lets help this guy out, so he can help us ;D.

Cheers
Adam
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 08:52:32 am »
Hi Adam,  thats funny, 
I just contacted  Yuniparts also. 
Thanks for posting what I needed to know.  Andrew is going to wonder what is going on here downunder... 
Looks like a choice product!

I am outsourcing another plastic product to Thailand in the 1000's and a possible new product in China.  So I guess what I am saying,  is the UK model postage and/or freight will be a killer.  Only good for one off's or resto's.  Distance = Dollars (or British Pounds in this case).