Author Topic: boost bottles  (Read 4380 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: boost bottles
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 10:06:20 pm »
Just ask 2T tuner Gary Treadwell what he thinks of boost bottles  ;) Answer would be yes they work.

If any one has the SAE paper and knows where you can get documents online that tell you how to design them let me know.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 10:11:34 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

ChrisACT

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 10:47:31 pm »
The boost bottle works by allowing some of the charge that would otherwise get sent back through the carby to instead run into the bottle due to the inertia of the incoming charge.  This means that it doesn't get reflected back through the carb past the needle and jet, thereby enrichening the air/fuel mix.

Essentially, any charge that gets reflected back through the carby by the closed reed valve ends up passing the needle and jet three times instead of once.

1st - being drawn in through the carb
2nd - being reflected back through the carb by the closed reed valve
3rd - being drawn back through the carb when the reed valve opens again.

So, basically at the rev range where the boost bottle is apparently giving a "boost" it's partially because it's leaning the mix out (or more accurately, it's reducing how much the mix is being made richer by reducing how much of the charge passes backwards through the carby when the reed valve closes.

You could basically get the same result by changing your carb needle.  Or more to the point, you should probably change your carb needle if you add a boost bottle so it doesn't lean out at the revs where the boost bottle is doing it's thing (which depends on what volume it has).

That's how I understand it, but I could be wrong.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 01:12:54 am »
I asked Wobbly an actual GP engineer(and a National treasure to NZ) , with lots of experience in designing(from a clean sheet), tuning and developing GP engines to whole motorcycles. With lots of work and experimentation you 'might' get a gain but put the same amount into work in ports, ignition, carburation and pipe  the results are far better was a paraphrased reply. 
HB the works bikes ran them if the head engineer(particularly the very stoic Japanese factories) thought they were a great idea, if he didn't think they were a great idea they didn't get used.If I had a $1 for every 'trick' bit that appeared on a works bike and disappeared quietly 1 or 2 years I wouldn't be typing this......................

The only type of resonance chambers that 'work' ie make a decernable improvement across a wide(not defined) rpm range is the ATAC and the KIPS resonator both are on the exhaust side. As anyone from Prof Blair on down who has been smart enough to work out the pipe is what does the work on a 2 stroke.
Jesus only loves two strokes

lms6201

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 06:34:16 am »
from experience , the canister makes the 465  yam  easier(possibly read as more acurate )   to jet  with a smoother transition from low to high ,i,m useing a j490 setup on the 465 , and a 490 without the thing is very difficult to get close to any sort of consistancy

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 08:56:42 pm »
all the works bike parts were tested
they would not use a part if it did not work no matter who said to use it
they were not into looks
from all my experience and from what reliable sources tell me
go with the boost bottle  ;)
sure you can port do ignition carby and pipe