Author Topic: Future of OzVMX  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Future of OzVMX
« on: October 12, 2009, 08:17:12 pm »
Dear all,

Around about now OzVMX is some 5 years old. As I have said before, it's been quite a ride and the website has been far more successful than I ever imagined it would be. I am very glad that it has been, and that I have in some way contributed to the growth of VMX in Australia. However, it's a big job and one that I can no longer keep up, at least not well enough to keep the faith.

So, at the end of this year, I will be scaling it back considerably. Here's what will happen.

1. The main website will be closed. I may leave online what is there right now as a sort of archive or museum, but there will no longer be an OzVMX Home Page/website.
2. OzVMX will be just the forum. In other words, type in www.ozvmx.com and you'll get this forum.
3. The Classies system will be closed. All advertising will need to be via the forum. I hope to increase the storage space available, and this will make it possible to add images etc again.
4. There may be a brief period while the site is unavailable as I will most likely transfer the whole thing to a different hosting provider (to get the additional space).
5. I hope to appoint moderators to the forum. These people will take on the job of looking after the place for me. I'll remain as site admin and will still try to keep on top of how it's all running.
6. Maintaining the BMCC and VCM websites will continue if those clubs wish me to do so.

So, OzVMX will continue, but in a slightly smaller way. As it is, the Forum is the main part of OzVMX, and I think that'll pretty much continue as long as it works and is as active and successful as it is now.

Graeme

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Future of OzVMX
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:31:03 pm »
Will you be upgrading to a later version of Simple Machines forum that doesn't clash with IE8?
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

TT

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:33:40 pm »
Sounds fair, Graeme. I know how much time this site has taken out of your life in the past few years.
Good luck with the change.  :)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 08:34:30 pm »
If there is such a thing then yes. I haven't been keeping an eye on the upgrades available, but I am planning to buy space on a new host, install a new forum, and try to migrate the existing database. I am not especially confident because I don't know anything about this stuff and 9 times out of 10 anytime I touch a computer thingy it blows up in my face...

dave

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:41:56 pm »
Good onya Graeme you've done an amazing job!

albrid-3

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:03:47 pm »
All the best Graeme, you have done well, l understand what you are going through as l owned my own Magazine Classic dirt bike Market and being the advertising manager for VMX in the begining.
Keep up the good work Graeme, this forum keeps us vintage racers together. cheers David

firko

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 07:00:28 pm »
I can't say I'm surprised Graeme. You've lasted a lot longer than I would have  ;D. You need a great pat on the back for creating the website and forum that's become the major meeting place for our sport. It's been the best moderated forum on the 'net in the fact that you've given room for debate (often heated) without playing the Mother Superior until you absolutely had to. This is the only forum that I regularly contribute to because of that freedom. I was once chastised on the Yahoo Maico forum for using the shit word so I wonder how they'd handle some of the wonderful banter that goes on here.  ;)

I know only too well how these thing consume your life so by cutting back a tad you may just get a bit more shed and track time. It'll be interesting to see if many put their hands up to help with the moderation. It's time you got a helping hand. Thanks again Graeme for giving us all the opportunity to vent our spleens on all things VMX.

All Things 414

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 07:13:41 pm »
Yes gotta admit that your tolerance has kept the forum on an even keel Greyham. I'll be interested to see who and how things are moderated  :-X. Hopefully it wont end up like one of those Yahoo groups. I've been tossed out of "Happy quilters" that many time now that I've ran out of alias's to go on there with (mind you I do say f@#k a lot on there....)  :D

Offline jackiemac

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 02:42:36 pm »
Does this mean you will be out playing on your bikes more :D ;D
Graeme, your website has had a huge impact on the VMX scene, thanks a heap for all the support you have given me over the years, enjoy the freedom  :)

Keep Smiling :)
Jackie Mac

Be kind to your neighbour!!