Author Topic: KX125B  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
KX125B
« on: August 10, 2008, 07:54:18 PM »
Just got offered a KX125B, poor to average condition, doesn't run, crappy plastics but is all complete. But I don't know a lot about KX's as I usually play around with hondas. Can anyone tell me if this was a good or bad model, I know its the first LC disk brake model, did they have any major dramas.

Just wanted to check before I bought it, I didn't want to get it and then find out the 82 was the worst model ever  ???

Is $600 a reasonable price ??
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
Re: KX125B
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:58:47 AM »
Mick Ive just finished putting one together and tried it out a few weeks ago.Initially Ithought it was too peaky for the track(only really ridden yamahas up till then) but the more I rode it  the better it got so I was pretty rapt by the end of the day.I read a shootout article on jap 125s for 1982 in an American MX mag of that time and it said the kx although not the quickest,was the best handling of the bunch.Wathch out for corrosion of the clutch cover at the water pump housing.I ended up hunting one down in the US,great condition but a bit expensive.If its all there 600 seems about right,not many of them around anymore.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline geraldo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 07:42:22 PM »
I remember reading an article on the KX125B when it was first released , it featured a very young David Bailey as the test rider , even had a very cool picture on the front cover of him whell standing the bike like doug domokos. They rated it very highly

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:28:49 PM »
that model like a lot of kxs
was based on the works bike
and was a great little bike ;D
thats a good price for a starting project 8)
follow me to first turn

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:29:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice ;)

Picked up tonite, pretty rough but basically all there, will make a good resto.
2 things I need, original seat or seat base and a original gold rear rim, anyone got any leads??
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline geraldo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 09:42:44 AM »
will have a look , I think I have a seat - complete in good condition, will let you know but am away for a few days

Expat

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 05:14:58 PM »
My Mum bought me an 82 KX125 brand new still in crate. (I was 17 yrs old) ...Had been riding an 81 YZ125 until then and the KX decimated the YZ in every department.

I kept the YZ for another year as a back up bike ........but never rode the hoppity  Yam again.

83 kx125 broke clutch baskets......though I never had anything fail on my 82 .

Was living in South Africa then and a Kawa team mechanic remachined cylinder head squish shape.
The top of cylinder was machined/grooved to use YZ125 " O" rings in place of the head gasket.

Bike ran on methanol and with head mods had masses more drive out corners...a great bike....I really enjoyed it.

FYI..the 83 head gasket is thinner than 82 and could be interchanged for a tad more compression if desired.

Only time it shat itself was when I took it to the track so a prospective buyer could test ride it.
Rear shock was freshly rebuilt and had been quickly installed before heading to meet buyer.

During his test ride the bottom shock retaining bolt fell out and the shock went straight down into the ground and bent itself 45 degrees under the swingarm.... ;D

He bought the bike anyway...with a corresponding reduction in price..

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 01:00:24 PM »
One just sold on evilbay in pieces but looked to be all there.Had a broken cluch basket funniliy enough.Wow expat you must have been good son!Your mum obviously did some research.Imagine if you'd kept that bike crated until now.