Author Topic: Suspension spring search thread.  (Read 695 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Suspension spring search thread.
« on: February 27, 2023, 08:08:54 PM »
I thought I'd just put this out there, I am sure that, like me, you all have boxes of springs from old shocks & forks, either spare strengths you had for previous bikes, or springs removed from destroyed dampers. If you need a particular spring, list the dimensions here, someone may have a new or used item that they can sell you and advise you of a price by private message.  I'll start in next reply.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 08:22:48 PM by John Orchard »
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: Suspension spring search thread.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 08:22:25 PM »
OK, I need some springs for my new LTG shocks (I'll sand & paint them, so rough condition is ok), LTG's are larger diameter and quite long, I had some in all my gear, but they are too strong. I have the option of replacing the longer spring of the two springs on each shock, or replace the pair with one spring, specs below.

SPRING ONE DIMENSIONS.
Wire thickness: 6.80 ~ 7.0mm.
Spring free length: 275mm.
Active coils: 12.
Total coils: 14.
Inside diameter of the top of spring: 42mm.
Inside diameter of the bottom of the spring: 45mm.

SPRING TWO DIMENSIONS.
Wire thickness: 6.80 ~ 7.0mm.
Spring free length: 188mm.
Active coils: 8.5
Total coils: 10.5
ID of top: 42mm.
ID of bottom: 45mm.

If you've got something close, let me know, I can adjust settings to compensate.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Dungar Pilot

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Suspension spring search thread.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 12:06:40 PM »
Hi Everyone,
If you've got something close, let me know, I can adjust settings to compensate.
John, you did not mention progressive rate springs. So I have gone through my 3 baskets (that resemble milk crates) of spare springs and shocks and had a look for you. Pretty much all of these have come off Trials bikes so softer rate but some way too hard for Trials that might suit your needs?

Edit photo of black springs: wire diameter is 7 mm.

These are close to your dimensions but have similar wire diameter to yours so not sure if they are any good to you? Most of mine are smaller internal dimensions and smaller in wire dimensions.

Not sure if this helps?
Greg
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 12:10:38 PM by Dungar Pilot »