Author Topic: Budget Beeza  (Read 31699 times)

mainline

Re: Budget Beeza
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 10:03:01 PM »
G'day Jimson, the seat in the pic is a YZ125C that was sitting in the shed and I just plonked it on for the photo. I don't know what I'm doing for a seat yet. i'm assuming I'll have to dig up a base from and go from there?

firko

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 11:15:12 PM »
A B50 seat might come close Paul.....

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »
Hey mainline what sort of airbox/oil bottle setup are you thinking of fitting (standard)?i have a b-40 project about the same stage as you and looking for ideas certainly like to try and keep the weight down . :)cheers

mainline

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 04:56:10 PM »
not too sure yet, I'm a fair way off that stage.

If you can get your hands on a copy of issue 21 of VMX Mag, there's a Bsang 250 in there with a trick alloy airbox that also contains the oil reservoir and ignition 

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 04:53:37 PM »
Jimson unless you race in hassle free UnZud
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 08:56:14 AM »
Hey mainline checked out the B-sang (nice little iron!)oil bottle 's a good setup but the bully must have more room to go lower(with bottle) than the beeza putting the bottom of the carb intake only 50mm above the bottle mount plate, would only hold a couple of litres.Was hoping to keep frame fairly original so will maybe have to keep bottle uprite as per the original setup. keep ya posted and thanks for the info (PS like the boyer ignition,bit exy though)

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »
Ever considered using a Sammy Miller oil tank air filter box for the trials B40 both are alloy, bolt to standard frame & pre 65 legal.

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 10:10:55 PM »
Hi,
Whats wrong with building  a B40, (motor and frame), methanol burner , CZ or Bultaco forks and wheels, pre 65 legal ,big bore of course, no argument there.

firko

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »
Hi,
Whats wrong with building  a B40, (motor and frame), methanol burner , CZ or Bultaco forks and wheels, pre 65 legal ,big bore of course, no argument there.
With respect Michael, I thought that was exactly what Mainline was building ??? To answer your question though..........there is nothing wrong with the concept and this kind of project should be encouraged.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:38:44 AM by firko »

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 02:54:18 PM »
It's only bultaco hubs that have to be full width to be pre 65 legal single sided hubs from rickman triumph cz are all legal it's about date of manufacture.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 10:02:55 PM »
hey  mac  'do you know the requirements for the rear hubs?i understand the need for regs for motor /frame/suspension for pre 65 but find it a bit puzzling when when a pursang hub weight's  no less with no mechanical advantage over a cz or rickman and heaps of bsa's ran single hubs before that date,be they whatever 'just close's up another market, makes it that bit harder for the average bloke on a budget to get  into the class ,sorry if iam not up to speed yet on the subject. thanks

mx250

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 10:21:35 PM »
hey  mac  'do you know the requirements for the rear hubs?i understand the need for regs for motor /frame/suspension for pre 65 but find it a bit puzzling when when a pursang hub weight's  no less with no mechanical advantage over a cz or rickman and heaps of bsa's ran single hubs before that date,be they whatever 'just close's up another market, makes it that bit harder for the average bloke on a budget to get  into the class ,sorry if iam not up to speed yet on the subject. thanks
We've been over this ground several times and that's the way it is and it ain't gunna change in a hurry. Not that it should put any one off from building what they want the way they want it. Even ride it and race it and it shouldn't be an issue unless you start winning national championships ;) :).

Oppet

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 01:56:56 AM »
I have also been trying to build budget bsa, but very poor succes, soon I will be bankcrupt.
its b50 with pre 65 wheels, rickman front and cz rear, like the look of them and dont even know what would be most desired "bling" wheels for pre 74 where Im gonna drive it.

firko

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 11:24:51 AM »
also can anyone tell me why you need full width front hubs as opposed to single sided ,what is the gain?i have both pursang single and montadero double front hubs  i can use and theirs a lot of difference in the weight ,is their a any literature on these things ,other than that little MA booklet. thanks
Huskihoon you can use conical hubs if you want. They just have to be available prior to 1965 or be a flow on from that era. Rickman, REH, Sprite and CZ are all reasonably cheap, lightweight and stop comparitively well. I'm not fully up with Bultaco but don't recall them using conical hubs prior to 1965 so for that reason alone they're not allowed.

I realise you're on a budget and are keen to build the bike as light as possible but would suggest you invest in a rulebook and build the bike to what is allowed rather than trying to justify using what you have laying around in the shed. All of the protests about this or that rule being unjust doesn't mean a thing unless you feel strongly enough about it to start the process to reform whatever rule peeves you. If you want Bultaco conical hubs made legal for Pre 65 and reckon you've got a good argument in favour of allowing them, lodge a reccomendation through your club emphasising your reasons for the change.

If this is all too hard, go with the flow and build the bike using hubs that qualify for the class. Simple really.
Below: A pre '65 M11 Bultaco showing its full width hubs (disregard the Ducati engine ;) )

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:33:23 PM by firko »

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 01:51:54 PM »
reh and metisse way,way lighter hubs
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina