Author Topic: OzVMX is here to stay  (Read 65696 times)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
OzVMX is here to stay
« on: September 15, 2016, 06:28:20 AM »
OzVMX is here to stay

OzVMX has developed into an ‘Institution’ in our old dirt bike community, the premier VMX site in Australia and for many years has been held in the highest regard both here and abroad. It’s a goto place for information, parts, bikes, and more often than not, some good fun online bench racing .  I am sure most of you will agree that as a community we are very grateful for Graeme’s huge efforts and want to give him an equally huge thanks for creating and maintaining OzVMX over the years. Like many of you when I read about Graeme’s intention to close down OzVMX I thought what a waste. I do however understand that after 15+ years of spending 100s of hours of his personal time Graeme is well overdue to feel completely satisfied with his achievement and move on to other pursuits. Doing all the back end work, piecing the IT together and troubleshooting it, dealing with the politics, and trying to cover costs, must have been very taxing. In the end to feel the pride of providing the premium information service for our VMX community, can only satisfy a person for so long. For Graeme to be prepared to close it, he had obviously reached his limit, and it was time for someone to step up and take over so all of his good work did not go to waste and he could move on.

As a VMX fan and someone not shy of a challenge, I asked Graeme if he would consider allowing me and my team to take it over. A request Graeme has kindly agreed to and it is humbling the trust he has shown to hand over the reins of such a valuable resource. I am confident that with some support, we can continue to keep the OzVMX network of sites strong, relevant and an enjoyable place for the VMX enthusiast to visit. As many of the NSW VMX riders know I am a keen VMX enthusiast and racer. I raced Motocross, in Hong Kong, Guam, The Philippines & Australia through the late 70s and early 80s, and found VMX through OzVMX back in 2000 where it introduced me back into the sport I loved so much in my teens. I am one of the people behind the scenes in the running of Heaven VMX events and I manage the Heaven VMX website and Social Media pages. With my business partner Jon Caplan I run a custom merchandise screen printing and embroidery business in Sydney which relies heavily on a number of websites and social media to bring in new business so we are working in this area every day. Going forward, with some assistance from our team, I will be the new driving force behind OzVMX.

Our plan is to review all the infrastructure behind the Ning site and the forum, and while there will be changes to streamline the back end of the sites to fit in more with our preferred IT platforms, the over-riding premise though will be to keep the integrity of the sites intact by preserving all the great knowledge & history built up over the years and keep it easily accessible to the OzVMX community.  To cover costs we’ll use the platform and Facebook page to advertise a small amount of VMX relevant products and services.

For the time being, not much will change. We’ll take our time to familiarise ourselves with each platform and when we have planned the changes we want to make, we will inform you well ahead of time. In the meantime please feel assured OzVMX is here to stay. Thank you Graeme, be proud, your great work will continue.

Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: OzVMX is here to stay
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 06:43:43 AM »
That is great news Kenneth, long live the Forum. I am sure I am not alone in conratulating you on your decision to take on the admin role, I certainly appreciate it.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline MaxPower

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 07:07:14 AM »
Thats great news. Thanks for your affords

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 07:25:04 AM »
Good stuff Kenneth  ;D
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 08:09:09 AM »
Excellent news.
I wasn't overly worried about the FB page, but losing the forum would have been a big loss.

Thanks for everything, Graeme.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 08:29:35 AM »
Thanks for your kind words Kenneth, and for stepping up to take on the role of managing OzVMX. To be honest, I think it will reinvigorate the whole thing as I have really let the bar drop over the past couple of years.

So a big welcome to the new team, and here's to a bright future for OzVMX.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 08:39:39 AM »
This is good news. I did not care about the FB page either, everything that can be done on there can just be done on this forum and its so much easier to keep a track of things and have it all more organized here. but it would have been disappointing to see all the info on here lost. I like the layout and ease of use of this forum, so hopefully it does not change much to become 'mobile or tablet friendly' Somethings should not be messed with. It was similar 'improvements' that ruined the Yahoo Groups. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:02:19 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 08:51:07 AM »
OzVMX lives on - how wonderful!!  Look forward to the new era.  Well done Graeme, well done Kenneth.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 09:41:22 AM »
excellent news gents - much appreciated - and Graeme this has always been the place to come to whether you think the bar has dropped or not - well done!!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Bulmaster

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 11:14:29 AM »
Great news!!!!!!!!!

Offline fireyglen

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 11:37:45 AM »
great news kenneth.
Heaven #409

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 01:07:10 PM »
This is great news and it only goes to show how vital the site is to our sport. Thank you again Graeme and thank you Kenneth.

Kevin
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 01:24:25 PM »
Good job Kenneth, though l was quite sure someone would step up to continue GM's good work.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »
Three cheers for Kenneth & Graeme, Hip-Hip-Hooray :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 03:13:01 PM »
Now I'm thinking what was I panicking about
It's back  8) well done ken and Graeme  :)