Author Topic: RM CARBY  (Read 2548 times)

Offline RM Ted

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
RM CARBY
« on: August 26, 2007, 12:25:30 PM »
OK,I STARTED MY RM 125 C TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN
15 YEARS,STARTED FIRST GO??THE PROBLEM IS!!THERE IS ALOT
OF FUEL COMING OUT OF THE BACK OF THE CARB,WHERE THE AIRBOX FITS.
IM THINKING THAT THE FLOAT LEVEL IS NOT CORRECT.IM NOT SURE HOW TO CORRECT THIS??IF I GIVE IT A GUT FULL,IT MISSES BUT IT WILL IDLE.
ANY IDEAS??

1978 rm 125 x 3
1981 rm 125
1987 rm 125

Offline 500Fool

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: RM CARBY
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 01:20:27 PM »
Sounds like a stuck needle and seat, did you strip the carby? If not just try tapping the float bowl with a handle of a plastic screwdriver. If no go pull the carbarooster down and checkidout.

Offline RM Ted

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 04:33:13 PM »
THE CARBY IS BRAND NEW,I PUT ALL THE CORRECT JETS IN ETC.I WILL GIVE IT A GO YOU NEVER KNOW.
THANKS
1978 rm 125 x 3
1981 rm 125
1987 rm 125

Doc

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 05:46:35 PM »
Clarkey, does your carb have a one piece float assy or 2 separate floats. It's just the method of setting the float height is measured at different places. If it's a twin float type (usually found on the 79 and later) then you measure the distance shown in pic A. If it is a single bridged float then you measure from the float bowl base to the top of the float. Both these measurments are taken with the carb totally inverted. The needle and seat operating tab should be only just sitting lightly on the needle. For the twin float set-up the measurement should be 'about' 8.8mm taken as shown in pic A and for the single bridge type float of the earlier models 31.8mm taken at the points shown in pic B. Might help. Circlip on the jet needle set in middle groove? Usually they'll flood from the vent tubes before it reaches the height of the inlet which makes me wonder about the needle and seat..is the needle in pointy end up? needle clip position maybe, needle jet seated correctly into the carb body and is the mainjet tight on the end of said needle jet? Check to see your vent pipes tubes don't rise higher than the carb body too as this can cause high fuel levels especially with a needle and seat not seating. Some fuel residue in the inlet is sort of normal but a dripping amount isn't.

pic A

pic B

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 07:53:15 PM by Doc »