Author Topic: How can i remove dents froman aluminium fuel tank.  (Read 12311 times)

Offline cambo

• Novice
    • View Profile
How can i remove dents froman aluminium fuel tank.
« on: August 04, 2015, 11:49:05 PM »
Hi guys does anyone have any ideas on removing dents from an aluminium fuel tank.I have  seen the cut and shut method done but was hoping for easier way ,I have a 75 mx 250 b.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: How can i remove dents froman aluminium fuel tank.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 12:12:45 AM »
send it to Geoff Morris?

cheers

Rossco (aka GMC Business Development Manager  :o )
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »
No easy way that doesn't involve proper panelbeating, aluminium takes more skill to get right than steel as well as it stretches easier
I had my Falta tank done over here by Steve Roberts who built the Spartons & plastic fantastic F1 Suzukis. He opened up the tank at the seams as there was no way to get anything through the filler into the area that needed doing. He welded it back together as good or better than original with oxy as he's old school then leak tested it & polished it. If you've ever felt how light the Falta tank is you'll understand how big a undertaking this was due to how thin the metal is

Before

After

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 01:40:25 PM »
If there shallow dents , I used to strap it to stop it spreading. Fill with water and put it in the freezer for a day.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline cambo

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »
Thanks for all your info ill try yours first slakewell,if no joy I will check Geoff morris .cheers

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 10:09:22 PM »
Thanks Rossco, your cheques in the mail 8)

I heard that a wise old Irishman once said that the cleverest invention of the modern world was the thermos; it could keep warm soup hot or cold drinks cold.
But the most amazing thing about the thermos was that it always knew which foods to keep hot or cold. :o

I think ice is amazing stuff, it’s great in my Bourbon and Coke but as for using it to remove dents makes me wonder how the ice knows where the dent is.

Don't let ice addiction ruin your life tank/exhaust.
Use it at your peril

It does make more work for me but it's not the sort of work I like chasing!

Pressurizing tanks can ruin a tank too,
The Elsinore tank on the left has been pressurized, the pressure will spread the wings of the tank while closing up the tunnel making it hard to get over the frame again, it can take a lot of work to get them looking right again

http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/19/fuel-tank-repairs
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 10:54:40 PM »
I tried pressurising a steel ts250x tank and it nearly laid out flat , I just saved it in a hydraulic press and got a half litre more in it but would not recomend doing it as the dents were still there after I fixed the problems I created.
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 05:35:26 AM »
If you don't want to spend the money repairing it properly ie. via Geoff, your only option is bogging it and painting it. Is it a resto or race bike?

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »
This why you must strap your tank to use the ice method. To stop it spreading in the frame well.
I also did not use the cap. It did remove small shallow knee dents NP.

Why wouldn't compressed air and a regulator set to around 20 PSI and a heat gun work? Never tried it but the theory sounds fine to me? 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »
20 PSI is a hellava lot to be putting into a fuel tank!

I test my tanks for leaks with around 4-5 PSI and this small pressure starts to distort tanks (but not permanently)

It may be possible to remove some shallow dents with pressure if your lucky but dents come in all shapes and sizes and also require different force to remove.

Any dent with a crease will not come out easily as the crease increases the strength of the dent.

Also the radius of the dent effects how easily the dent will come out, small diameter deep dents will have a smaller radius which will require more force than a larger dent that has a larger radius.
They build dam (big dams/reservoirs) walls with the radius in towards the water as it has more strength this way.

I always advise against pressure as the dent will need more force to move it compared to the rest of the tank which will move easily.
A CZ / Maico tank that has flattish sides will easily become rounded (good job on that CZ tank above too BTW) but Elsinore tanks also have flattish sides that will also become more rounded by the time the dent gives in.

I have heard many stories of guys that reckon they can strap a tank down from moving but the success stories will be rare.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
Thinking aloud; a suction cup device outside and some low pressure inside for shallow dents might not be hopeless..
If you love it, lube it.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 02:58:43 PM »
2 comments - I have seen low pressure (around 5 PSI) accidents at work with carbon - you would not of wanted to have your hand in the way - be careful with pressure if you go down that route!

Secondly - agree with Geoff - had the paintless dent removal people take a dent out of the side of the car - very good job but still not what I thought it would be - guy explained that in being dented the steel stretches so is nigh on impossible to get back to the same shape.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 05:01:04 PM »
Aluminum is nice until you bend it. Then it becomes the world's biggest PITA.

As Geoff said, creases are  strong points and they don't like moving. Usually you find the spot next to it will start distorting as soon as you try and push it.
When you get a dent it usually stretches the metal so it never goes back to the same shape. Some you can get lucky and suck them out but most are best left for the pros.

Steel is much easier to work with. Maybe leave it as a race tank and find another to have for the garage queen look.

Offline cambo

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 09:39:09 PM »
Well its a race bike so it might stay like it is or be bogged, as it does have a crease on a top corner.

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 10:26:07 PM »
i dented my bsa alloy tank with a perfect edge off my garage wall, my mate is a panel beater with soft spot for vmx. After huge amounts of free beer,  he agreed to fix it. after huge amount of time and effort it was fixed. he told me that if it was a paying job it would have cost $1000
first point, NO EASY FIX
second point, NO EASY FIX