Author Topic: Pressing out swing arm axle  (Read 8774 times)

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pressing out swing arm axle
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 01:14:07 PM »
A while back, my YZ125G swingarm bolt was fully seized in.
I soaked it in all sorts of stuff for days.
I used a propane torch to continually heat the area.
I was lucky that one end of the swingarm bolt had a hex head where i could get an impact air driver on and continually work on it forward and reverse.
I used a Hilti to continually hammer on it.

The combination of heat, lube, hammering, torquing and time eventually started to gradually turn and move it mm by mm.
After a few days of continual work, it came out.  The bolt was ruined of course, but everything else was fine.

Cheers,

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 04:20:59 PM »
Just got a grinder onto one a few days ago.
This looks like another option https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcESnOmU5Y0

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 09:43:14 PM »
that big home made slide hammer looks the go but ive found for really rusted in s/arm bolts a month soaking with wd40 is the way.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 07:34:33 PM »
that big home made slide hammer looks the go but ive found for really rusted in s/arm bolts a month soaking with wd40 is the way.
Pulling it out also prevents spreading/bending the end when you try and push through from the nut side...

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 01:21:02 AM »
true it would prevent frame speading compared to just bashing the bolt out with the biggest hammer you can find but best way to prevent the bolt seizing in the 1st place is remove often and put plenty of grease on it before reassembly then no problem done the track,something that could be done at a factory level as they assemble dry when it comes to axle/swingarm and engine mounting bolts.im not a fan of high pressure washers/cleaners as at 2000psi the water goes into places you don't want it to go,i prefer the old bucket of soap suds/a sponge and good old low pressure hose/elbow grease,takes longer but you get in where the blaster wont and the bike looks a lot cleaner

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 01:30:08 AM »
Prevention is good. But in my case the bike had been parked for 18years. An electrical problem got the better of the owner. So these  problems become the challenges for new owners.
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 01:46:33 AM »
yeah some owners never remove the swingarm bolt to lube it and unknowingly pass the problem on to the next buyer,been there done that times 3 so far