Author Topic: DT/MX Re-sleeving sleeves  (Read 4948 times)

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
DT/MX Re-sleeving sleeves
« on: July 27, 2007, 04:45:33 PM »
My MX250 barrel needs a rebore to take it to 1.5mm over, and with only one rebore remaining I got to thinking, can I pull the sleeve out of a standard bore DT250 barrel cut/grind the ports to match my MX sleeve (which has pretty much got standard porting) and bung it back into the MX barrel ?
Or would I be better off just porting the DT barrel instead ? ???

I do like to keep the genuine MX stuff on the bike though  :-\
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: DT/MX Re-sleeving sleeves
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:32:19 PM »
why dont you just get a new sleeve fitted ? they are still avaiable we just put on into a 74 mx 250 after a pop rivit from the air box desided it wanted to lock itself between the piston and bore for a while until it total grovved it to the point it couldnt be honed out so to speak. ::)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 09:51:53 PM »
Why not post pics of the 2 barrels cyclegod?
Usually the trailie barrels can be taken to a higher spec than the mx versions as the ports are tiny in the trailie and this allows different port timings and shapes.
As for the resleeve anyone with a press and an oven can do it.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 11:08:34 PM »
why dont you just get a new sleeve fitted ? they are still avaiable we just put on into a 74 mx 250 after a pop rivit from the air box desided it wanted to lock itself between the piston and bore for a while until it total grovved it to the point it couldnt be honed out so to speak. ::)

Where did you get the new sleeve ?
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 11:26:16 PM »
there in the book.  any engineers can order youone in, wisco and some other do them as standard.  ill get a part number and price if i remember, im at the track on Sat so if i see the info ill remember to bring it home with me.

like lozza said if they have an oven they will be able to order one in, dont waste you time in trying to remove and old one and trying to refit it in another old one then you ll have 2 shit ones.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 07:47:58 PM »
ok it was an LA sleeve and the cost was retailed out at about $300, not sure what it was direct probly half that.  LAst time i looked it was these guys or NOS only, didnt turn up any other makers last time.

The part number in the book is YA 658SL ,

i think this is the web site just send them an email asking what they can do one for trade etc. 

http://www.lasleeve.com/master.html if you go to a serco reseller they will have this in their catalouge as it also cover the wisco pistong for it etc.

Although its for the 73-74 MX 250 it also Funnily enough iafter the product code the numbers 1976-79E

im wondering if the 76-79 YZ E uses the same sleeves ? you might find one of those on the shelf in Au already ?  up to you dude above is all the infor you need to get going :O)

see how you go.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:12:15 PM by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 08:05:52 PM »
hey also got a confirm on the nikaseal in a 2mm bor eon a dt 1 in a US dirt tracker guy sware its the iron bore, maybe an option for you , bore it out to the next piston and then coat it !
74 Yamaha  flattracker's