Author Topic: KLX's - a shared disease  (Read 146807 times)

IT400C

Re: KLX's - a shared disease
« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2012, 09:49:38 AM »
Bump
Yes, new seat cover from MXM. They seem to have a bit of trouble with the wording "short seat cover" but we got there in the end. Seeing as I was the one that gave them the original pattern in the first place !
The UK/steel tank versions do have a shorter seat. The seat foam is the same as the long seat version and are available new. All you have to do is chop about an inch or so off the front.

Anyone got photos of a KLX Seat?  I've got a KDX400A1 and I'm looking for a new seat foam for it (the old one's softer than my sofa)..  Maybe the KLX one can be adapted to fit?

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2012, 10:36:48 AM »
Bump
Yes, new seat cover from MXM. They seem to have a bit of trouble with the wording "short seat cover" but we got there in the end. Seeing as I was the one that gave them the original pattern in the first place !
The UK/steel tank versions do have a shorter seat. The seat foam is the same as the long seat version and are available new. All you have to do is chop about an inch or so off the front.

Anyone got photos of a KLX Seat?  I've got a KDX400A1 and I'm looking for a new seat foam for it (the old one's softer than my sofa)..  Maybe the KLX one can be adapted to fit?

The KDX seat is much thicker than a KLX seat.

When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

IT400C

« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2012, 11:00:06 AM »
The KDX seat is much thicker than a KLX seat.

Thanks for that. 

Anyone know of a Kawasaki seat that is similar to the KDX400?  Or should I just get an upholsterer to start from scratch?

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »
To the best of my knowledge they are the only unique one Kawasaki made. They are very different from the KX and KLX seats.

There was a KDX400 at CD9, perhaps he could help you?
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2012, 12:55:54 PM »
You could mould one out of concrete Tony....at least it would last.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 26, 2012, 03:33:44 PM »

But your arse wouldn't...

IT400C

« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »

But your arse wouldn't...

I think Mr. Crockette, in his own inimitable way, was alluding to my arse perhaps having enough extraneous padding to make a concrete seat work..   ::)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Correct.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2012, 06:21:40 AM »
From memory the KDX seat is thicker, wider and has a much more square section than the KLX. I have just had the 73 CCM seat rebuilt from scratch. My local upholsterer has a passion for bike seats. He hand carved and layered (using muslin) the new foam, hand made a new seat cover, complete with original CCM logo, assembled it to the original base and charged me £50 ! Bargain.....
I have also noticed that there is a difference in the shape of the KLX seat base between the long and short seat versions.

Has anyone managed to measure their air filter yet ....... ?     Please.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2012, 07:11:39 AM »
Seem to be having an issue with Unifilter and the fact they don't fit. I have sent several emails in the last few days with no reply. The last three have been bounced back by their server. This was not an issue when I wanted to order them, and then confirm payment. Maybe they are having a problem with their emails, I don't know. But it does not look good from where I am sitting.
My O.E. filter is 132mm dia by 90mm long.

grouty,
I just measured mine out of an 81 it measures 130 ish by 80 ish.

Regards Stan.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2012, 07:53:36 AM »
Thanks Stan. Bears out my thoughts. Rumaging through stuff tonight, I reckon the original A1 and A2 models probably had the shorter filter. The later B1, B2 and rare C1's had the longer 90mm filter. They are all squashed a bit when fitted. I have sent Unifilter a CAD drawing of my genuine O.E. one. Hopefully they will come back with a positive outcome.
Thumpers Rule !

IT400C

« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2012, 09:07:31 AM »
From memory the KDX seat is thicker, wider and has a much more square section than the KLX. I have just had the 73 CCM seat rebuilt from scratch. My local upholsterer has a passion for bike seats. He hand carved and layered (using muslin) the new foam, hand made a new seat cover, complete with original CCM logo, assembled it to the original base and charged me £50 ! Bargain.....
I have also noticed that there is a difference in the shape of the KLX seat base between the long and short seat versions.

Has anyone managed to measure their air filter yet ....... ?     Please.

Thanks Grouty, looks like custom is the way to go..

Now, with the KLX airfilters - do the get clamped in similar to the KDX?? 

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2012, 07:55:11 PM »
I don't thing the filter or the fixing is the same as the KLX.
The KLX has a pin that goes through the centre of the filter. Then held in place with a steel cap and an oversize hair clip !
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2012, 09:28:25 PM »
Has anyone tried a KLF300 Bayou Cylinder and head on a KLX250 bottom end? If so what was the performance results?

Stan.

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2012, 10:42:26 PM »
I had a look at the cage I have and the unifilter I bought  and it seems to be ok fit wise. the filter could certainly be a lot taller{longer?) with the amount of room in the airbox which ties in with later models as you say.