Author Topic: Budget Beeza  (Read 31691 times)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Budget Beeza
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
No, its not the fastback frame. Diff frame tube arrangement (behind the engine)

cheapracer

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2011, 12:22:22 AM »
Mark, notice that the Sprite frame w the Tumpy engine (above) has had the swinarm pivot relocated behind the frame tubes, maybe to allow the engine to fit

Since theres a lot of activity about these frames in the Alron thread I'll add that that frame doesn't just have the swinarm pivot relocated behind the engine cradle but the engine cradle spas themselves have been uprated to 32mm from 25mm it would seem.

A period picture would be required to combat the Nazi's although as pointed out above it was a known mod. Must have been a lot of fun in the early to mid 60's with all the specials and what a shame this attitude hasn't carried over to the present (re; pre '65 class).

firko

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2011, 11:08:10 AM »
Mark you may be correct with your assumption re: the extra inch or so in the cradle but I've managed to fit my Trumpy T100SC engine into my bog stock Sprite/American Eagle frame without having to lengthen the cradle or relocate the swingarm pivot. Having said that, it was an excruciatingly difficult process involving turning the frame and engine upside down and a lot of jiggling involving two people. Once in there, the engine looks well at home though. To make the conversion more feasible it's far better to relocate the swingarm pivot to behind the cradle, similar to what Hipkin did with the latter fastback frame.
Here's Franks take on what I've written. Frank Hipkin is a member of this forum but doesn't post. He usually emails me the information and I post it.
Firstly Mark did you get the leaflet on the fast back trials and scrambles, because I forget sometimes to send to you, there is so much information such as engines the forks materials used, and now I will answer your thoughts regarding the 360 Maico, personally I would have liked you to build similar Sprite to the one That Dave Smith road at the very beginning riding for the works. We did sell quite a few Frame kits for 500cc triumph engines.

I've got two of these frames so I'll use the better frame to build a replica of Dave Smiths Maico square barrel powered works bike from 1968, with Franks blessing and advice on the project. That bike could be a bit of a 'double classer' as I could also fit my Maico 250 round barrel engine (as shown in the photo of the frame in my previous post)to make it legal for pre '65/250. I'll build the Trumpy using leftovers as I described in my previous post. Both of these projects are scheduled a bit down the production line, after the Maico Metisse and Benelli street tracker are completed.

I love Frankenbikes ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:15:58 AM by firko »

cheapracer

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »
Frank Hipkin; We did sell quite a few Frame kits for 500cc triumph engines.

But did they change the frame to having the swingarm pivot behind the side spas and were the frame tubes enlaged as the example above to carry the heavier motor or still at 1" (25mm) ex-works?

mainline

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2011, 07:16:05 AM »
A certain someone sent me up a tank to see if it fits and looked the part, although it needs some minor repairs I couldn't stop myself giving it a quick squirt of silver paint ;D

Cheers to the grand poobah

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2013, 12:19:27 AM »
bump...progress pics Mainline  :P
Best is in the West !!

mainline

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47:24 AM »
Nothing major, still collecting parts. Got side tracked with a ktm300 trail bike and rl250 trials.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
Nothing major, still collecting parts. Got side tracked with a ktm300 trail bike and rl250 trials.

got to get back onto some good rebuilds here Paul  :P  nearly 12 months  :D

Queenslanders might have room in a Nationals seacontainer heading south come August  :P :P  :P
Best is in the West !!

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2016, 11:07:18 PM »
so.....thanks to Pete (yamaico) being very understanding and generous, the bsa project is back in my shed.

Updates to follow. Stay tuned.

Where the F,,k did six years go?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:09:01 PM by Paulos »