Author Topic: FEUL - premium unleaded v's unleaded  (Read 18037 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: FEUL - premium unleaded v's unleaded
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 09:29:56 AM »
When it' struggling to get on the pipe does it sound really lazy, or does it sound like it's trying hard but not really succeding?
I know it sounds like a stupid description, but: lazy = too retarded, trying hard = too advanced.

Recommended advance for a YZ125 is 1.2mm BTDC. 3mm is a truck-load more (in terms of degrees of crank rotation/time) when you consider the way the piston moves near TDC.

I'd definitely be experimenting with less advance. You might find that you can lean it off considerably with less advance - more power, less dead plugs, etc...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 09:45:32 AM »
 ??? I'm supposed to come out with all those sorts of answers Nathan ;D

ditto what Nathan said.Usually 1-1.4mm for 125's ,2-2.4mm for 250's and 3-3.2mm for 400's is a ballpark static timing figure if none are available.
I hope your setting the timing with a dial indicator not with any marks on the flywheel/stator????
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 10:11:40 AM »
due to the dt external flywheel design, the marks are used just as a guide only, so thats a big yes to the dial indicator.
and yes to- trying hard but not really succeding?
which is too advanced as you say.
step 1 is evolving.
thanks again fella's!
"flat bickie"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »
if you use a timing light to do a ig test, how do you tyell the RPM ? i was just going to flash min with the old car timing light but then figured how do i get the RPM number.  Whats the story there ? is it the old burrrrp burrrrrrrrr yep thats about 3900rpm or is there a cleaver-er way kids ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 03:32:41 PM »
Pretty much with a tacho freaky.You want to check the timing marks with the light to compare to the marks you made from the dial indicator.Then tell if you have a static or retarding ignition.Then adjust by that A Jaycar shop will have an inductive automotive tacho about $70 and kart shops have them to :D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 05:10:59 PM »
Lozza if i had a dial indicator i wouldnt need to use the lazy ol timing light.

I think ill go for a drive to the kart shop might be easier.  hhey lozza im in NSW next friday you got anything i can pick up ? shocks ? gearset ? saves postage :O)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

oldfart

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 06:37:16 PM »
Lozza
           I now run a 320 main jet with a 55 primary in the PE 400 with the circlip set at the middle running shell racing fuel timing is STD  ;) depending on the day.

Fatboy.... Tried the V power but had to change the jets, Down to 310 and 45