Author Topic: Rickman Yamaha Project  (Read 7996 times)

Offline traderyoda

• Novice
    • View Profile
Rickman Yamaha Project
« on: February 11, 2017, 03:09:49 AM »
Need a little help assembling an original Rickman MkIV Metisse Yamaha DT1.

I have a NOS frame, most of the fiberglass, three DT1 engines, and all of the rolling bits. Here are my challenges:

- I have a MkIV tank, but it's red while the rest of the glass is BRG. I've seen pics of some beautiful glasswork on this forum, but am not sure where it's coming from. I spoke with Adrian but he doesn't have any MkIV tanks in BRG (or much else for MkIVs). I'd prefer to pick up a new tank vs. painting what I have and trying to match the color to get the right shade of BRG. Plus it would be nice to get a tank that doesn't dissolve in this crappy gas.

- The airbox is missing and I haven't a clue what it looks like. I suspect it looks very similar to a Rickman Bultaco, but that's not much help since I've never seen one of them either. I poured over pictures but none reveal the shape of the box. I'm prepared to glass one up myself, but I'd like to get as close as I can to what Rickman produced.

- Fabricating an exhaust is another issue. I have a basic idea of the routing based on limited photos, but no idea of what happens behind the left side number plate.

Appreciate any insights you folks could provide based on your experience.  Cheers!

Offline geoff

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Rickman Yamaha Project
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 09:53:23 AM »
Hi,...You need to contact Flower Pot Ben (Ben Penny) Ben is on the forum and supplies great fibre glass for the Rickman Metisse machines. Only thing is he is in England so you will have the postage to consider.

Offline traderyoda

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:27:39 AM »
Super - many thanks. I'll follow up!

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
Firko is great source of DT 1 after market frame stuff. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 04:51:10 PM »
As Geoff said earlier, contact Flowerb Pot Ben on this forum. I got my Metisse bodywork from him and its the best you'll get.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline traderyoda

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 11:36:58 PM »
Thanks folks. I sent a PM to Ben.

Firko, you're postings have been of great value. The few pictures you posted of Rickman Bultacos helped me 'see' inside the frame. From those I've sussed out that the Yamahas pipe is routed much the same way as the Bultaco Metisse, but the airbox must have been very different. The Bultaco airbox is mounted high and to the right of the exhaust (does not run across the frame). The MkIV Yamaha frame has tabs at the bottom of the frame on both sides for the airbox and tabs at the top for the exhaust.

The frame has oil-in-the-frame with a takeoff for the Yamaha AutoLube and a sight gage to monitor levels.

I'll post pictures as I work my way way through the project.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 10:47:11 PM »

This might Help Air cleaner body mount on the same frame bolts as the outer cover MK4 Rickman Montesa and my project

Offline traderyoda

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 03:01:12 AM »
Aha - pretty cool. Here's what the mounting tabs look like on this frame - two high, two low. The airbox must look similar to the Rickman Montesa and Zundapp with a carve out for the pipe.

Getting closer to identifying what this box must look like.

Offline traderyoda

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 03:03:25 AM »
Tried to post a picture in the prior response, but am clearly ham-fisted... trying again

https://www.flickr.com/photos/traderyoda/32727925602/in/album-72157676777910603/

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 05:09:33 PM »
Liam

Think the Yamaha mx and Zundapp mx model are very close , twin frame and cross over pipe , and the large air box is Enduro models .

Enduro model

Cheers

Offline traderyoda

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 12:03:55 AM »
There's a NOS Rickman Zundapp airbox for sale on eBay - here's a close-up that matches the picture you've provided clearly showing the relief for the pipe to pass through.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/traderyoda/32773104551/in/album-72157676777910603/

Sorry for posting links, but the 'insert image' box doesn't allow me to select photos from a file for some reason.

The eBay pictures also show that mounting holes on the airbox closely match the pattern on the Yamaha frame. The tube angles are obviously different on the MkIV frame so a Zundapp airbox isn't close in size, but at least I'm getting closer to what this box will have to look like. I plan to carve one out of a styrofoam and go from there.

Cheers!