Author Topic: 2016 MoMS out  (Read 54438 times)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
2016 MoMS out
« on: December 14, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »
On the MA website

Pre 75: NO reed valves permitted.

If you own a Husky mag, Pre 75 YZ or DT it's off to Evo for you.

Evo:

A date of Pre 90 has been placed on Evo. So while it must be air cooled, drum braked and non linkage you can source all components from up to and including a Pre 90 bike including the U.S.D. Fork

All eras:

Engines and gearboxes must be externally unchanged has had a line drawn through it and is no more.

Well done the rule makers at MA. You have just signed the death warrant for your own title events
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 MoMS out
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 03:08:17 PM »
WTF!?!??

Funny how... "fluid" some things can be...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 03:35:29 PM »
if correct all those GEM fitted CRs are out also.

Nick - are you around?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 03:38:17 PM »
On the MA website

Pre 75: NO reed valves permitted.

This is unbelievable Ted. I'll have to find a DT1 cylinder for my Yamaico and R5 cylinders for my RD.

This goes against all the fundamentals of the sport. What next, ban '81 490 Maicos because they're too good?

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »
Evo and engine appearance change makes good sense. A hell of a lot more workable than trying to prescribe or proscribe these contentious areas. Well done MA. Reed valve restriction is stupidity incarnate.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:58:04 PM by Momus »
If you love it, lube it.

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 03:55:22 PM »
have just written to the technical gurus at MA has Dave recommended before.  If correct this means I have no where to ride my YZB as it also does not qualify for pre 78 - and not going later than that  :'(

Will see what they come back with.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 04:02:51 PM »
Evo and engine appearance change makes good sense. A hell of a lot more workable than trying to prescribe or proscribe these contentious areas. Well done MA. Reed valve restriction is stupidity incarnate.

I disagree on the Evo thing.
While the clarification is welcome and long overdue, I don't think ANYONE wanted this.

The class was always supposed to be about the bikes that were made uncompetitive by linkage rear ends, disc brakes and water cooling. Now those bikes risk being made uncompetitive by FrankenBikes that have no historical precedent, and do not represent ANY era.

And for what gain? To make a small number of bikes that are fitted with 86-89 Honda cartridge forks legal? The juice does not seem to be worth the squeeze.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:04:47 PM by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 04:04:56 PM »
and the technical email address for MA no longer exists - bugga
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 04:07:19 PM »
WTF? I think most people wanted some common sense applied to the rules, but there ain't none there that I can see. Pre' 75 rule is just plain stoopid, Evo rule pretty much the same, no-one wants to see an EVO bike with USD forks. Obviously no-one in MA listens intently or rides any sort of VMX. The can of worms just got a whole lot wrigglier.
K
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:53:24 PM by bigk »

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 04:23:09 PM »
The Classic Motocross and Dirt Track commissioners are listed as Dave Tanner, Shane Fraser, Kerry Marsh and Nick Maxfield, all of whom have been on here at some stage. Perhaps they may care to enlighten us as to the process here.
Among their powers is the recommendation of GCR rule changes only after consultation with SCBs and State sub-committees. But I can't say I've heard of anyone whacking in a remit to can reed valves.

They have kind of contradicted themselves a couple of lines later in rule 13.14.4.9 (b) by listing the YZ360B and DT250B as acceptable follow-on models... 8)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:01:48 PM by GD66 »
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 04:52:02 PM »

I disagree on the Evo thing.
While the clarification is welcome and long overdue, I don't think ANYONE wanted this.

The class was always supposed to be about the bikes that were made uncompetitive by linkage rear ends, disc brakes and water cooling. Now those bikes risk being made uncompetitive by FrankenBikes that have no historical precedent, and do not represent ANY era.

And for what gain? To make a small number of bikes that are fitted with 86-89 Honda cartridge forks legal? The juice does not seem to be worth the squeeze.

Yes Nathan, but I have 2 sets of those Honda cartridge forks so I will be able to build the legal XR/CR I have underway using them and the CR480 front brake. I'm sure I'm not alone with that combination.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 04:53:42 PM »
The Classic Motocross and Dirt Track commissioners are listed as Dave Tanner, Shane Fraser, Kerry Marsh and Nick Maxfield, all of whom have been on here at some stage. Perhaps they may care to enlighten us as to the process here.
Among their powers is the recommendation of GCR rule changes only after consultation with SCBs and State sub-committees. But I can't say I've heard of anyone whacking in a remit to can reed valves.

Could be a typo?  Reeds that came as standard only permitted.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 05:00:37 PM »
WTF? I think most people wanted some common sense applied to the rules, but there ain't none there that I can see. Pre' 75 rule is just plain stoopid, Evo rule pretty much the same, no-one want to see an EVO bike with USD forks. Obviously no-one in MA listens intently or rides any sort of VMX. The can of worms just got a whole lot wrigglier.
K

Michael, will you still be happy with Evo when the cut off date is Pre 95 and then Pre 2000 and so on as newer classes are introduced. It will be an ever evolving era, not vintage at all.

They do not care and are just not listening. Submissions and asking clubs what they want is a total waste of our time.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 05:03:12 PM »

Could be a typo?  Reeds that came as standard only permitted.

Its written in bold print. No typo here

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 05:28:07 PM »
and is repeated in a couple of areas as well.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B