Author Topic: North Island NZ  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
North Island NZ
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
The wife and I are touring New Zealand over Xmas. Can somebody fill me in on the must do's on the North Island. We have a motor home for ten days. Are prepared to drive 500 klms a day just as we did on the South Island two years ago. As we are in our 50's exclude blue light discos, raves, art galleries and botanic gardens etc. Like to see and learn Mairo culture, heritage and scenery.

Besides Bill said that if I didn't return his Parts book pronto he would sick the Guvnor onto me ;D

Cheers
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
Re: North Island NZ
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »
Ted
Heres where I reckon you should go-

Bay of Islands (3 hours drive North of Auckland) -Stay In Russell then visit Cape Reinga at  top of the North Island.

Drive south of Auckland down the East coast via Tauranga to Mount Maunganui but avoid the Mount at  New Years (its full of boy racers and teenagers  ie like the Goldy on schoolies).

After that drive through to Rotorua (Rotovegas) lots of bubbling mud etc and cultural shows to showcase our indigenous inhabitants (ie the Black Poms tribal brothers  :D)

Then take a leisurely drive to Taupo with its nice Lake and scenery.But beware the dodgy Tow truck operators  ;)

South of Taupo you can head to the East coats and the Hawkes Bay which has a great amount of wineries etc.

Then finish in Wellington via the Wairarapa-go to Martinborough for more food and wine, or if you need to get back to Auckland, drive back up the West Coast via New Plymouth.

I am sure the other Kiwis will offer some more detail on the above.

If you have any issues when in the Auckland area feel free to contact me,I will be around and always available to help a VMX comrade.(+6421663430 Mobile)

Cheers
Craig
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:52:56 AM by suzuki59 »

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:56:27 AM »
Thanks Craig. If I hear some more spots I will put a bit of a map together
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 06:53:57 PM »
As craig said ;) go to the bay of islands then up to the top of NZ  8) to cape reinga light house ,
but on the way up to the top of the world you could take your bus up the ninety mile beach to the top.
 the sand up there is like concrete you can drive two wheel drive cars on it ;) tourist buses go up there .

you will have to hose under the hire bus to get rid of the sand the hire mob don't like you driving on the beach ??? ;D
aswell you could drive down from the top of NZ down the west coast  and go through opononi
my home town .
 and then down through the waipu forest , theres one big bloody tree there to see  :o a must stop .
then keep heading south to Auckland , watch out for the maori folk up north teddy :o ;D

TM BILL

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 07:28:35 PM »
Ted PM me your dates , there are a number of cool bike events over Xmas  :)

Wanganui street races

Whakatane Summercross

Taupo speedcross

All at great holiday venues with lots to do besides bikes  :)

Offline luigi37

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 08:06:31 PM »
all things petrol should include Western Springs speedway for one of their summer midget car series.
also Waiheke island ( day trip via ferry from downtown Auckland ).
RH250 TM125 RM125B RM125C RM125T RM125X RM250B RM250C2 RM250X RM250N RM370A RM400C RM400N RM400T PE175D YZ250A XR75 x2 XR80 TTR125 CRF250X BLASTER S2R yz80d yx600

maxvmx

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »
Ted,
Great time assured, spent 14 years in Whangarei - time of my life. Savour the scenery, it's gob smacking.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »
Craigs itinery good,but add western springs speedway(if want motorsport) and trip to waiheke island? Im in auckland if need anything
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Cooch 04

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »
You should head down through Rotorua then down to Whakatane as you will go through the lakes Rotoiti Rotoehu and Rotoma a very picturesque drive.Whakatane Summercross is one of the biggest 2 day meetings in the country I think its on the 29-30 Dec T M Bill can confirm an while you are there take a trip out to White Island and walk an active volcano.Shit I am missing home a bit. I will be at Summercross see you there.   Cooch