Author Topic: Sprite-UK/American Eagle-USA /Alron-AUST  (Read 323746 times)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Sprite/Alron/American Eagle
« Reply #315 on: November 28, 2009, 01:53:25 PM »
He did say it was a husky-clone motor not the real deal Husky.

Yr dead right Mark, the Alron part is just a drop in the ocean - probably a smaller drop than most realised. But an interesting drop nevertheless.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 28, 2009, 02:04:42 PM »
The Eagle has the copy husky motor was delivered with the radial head fitted from new
Just received a side on Photo of this bike will post later
Firko will PM you with Roberts details

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 28, 2009, 02:37:48 PM »
Side on of  American/Eagle/Sprite/Husky copy motor fitted with radial head from new

firko

« Reply #318 on: November 28, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »
When we were working on Alans a couple of months ago I could have sworn it had a straight fin head but I'm probably wrong. I know the 405 has a straight fin head so maybe that's where I got confused.

I found out yesterday that my recently acquired freebie American Eagle frame and box of bits has left Long Beach on it's journey to Oz. I've finally unsiezed the Maico 400 squarie destined for it have picked up the wheels and tank so all is well for that little gem happening once the other projects are out of the way.

BTW..Jonesy's looking for a pre 1970 Husky gearbox or bottom end to convert his Sprite so if anyone's got one to sell, PM me. The one currently on eBay has out priced itself.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 28, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »
I've only seen straight fins on the 250 before too. Might be another variation.

That bike also has alloy rims & diff front hub. Looks like AT1 hub.

Oh, I almost forgot, we also found yet another huckster involved in the Alron saga right at the end.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 30, 2009, 10:52:40 AM »
Pre '70 American Eagle 250.              

So this bike from pg18 probably has a genuine Sprite/Am-Eagle head

firko

« Reply #321 on: November 30, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »
I now think that American Eagle 250s came with two heads. Alans most definitely has the straight fin head similar to the 405 and the above head and 'Roberts' race bike have a radial head. The head on the above bike is a dead ringer for the two ACK brand heads I have for Yamaha DT1/RT1s. I haven't got any proof but I wouldn't mind betting that McCormack Motors commissioned ACK or someone else to supply a radial head, possible to raise compression, run cooler or to get a better squish area. If you carefully look at the red bike above you can clearly see the different casting qualities between the head and barrel. This is yet another of the mysteries surrounding these bikes.
Below..Alan Jones 250 American Eagle engine. Compare the casting quality of the standard head to that of the radial and you'll see that the radial seems to have a different origin, it just doesn't look comfortable there, suggesting it's originally made for something else. Note also the different barrel casting.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:34:35 PM by firko »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 30, 2009, 12:35:02 PM »
Please write the novella Firko  :D This really is a ripper story with lots of twists. Cheers Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

firko

« Reply #323 on: November 30, 2009, 12:39:20 PM »
Here's a shot of California American Eagle racer Dave Duanes 250, complete with radial head. Ironically, Alan bought a new head from Dave and it was the straight version. More investigation needed.

mx250

« Reply #324 on: November 30, 2009, 01:07:09 PM »
What did her race, hill climbs? ;D.

You're right about that head, it doesn't really look like it is design with the barrel as a unit. Your guess about an outside supplier, for whatever reasons, seems a 'good bet' ;) :).

firko

« Reply #325 on: November 30, 2009, 01:28:52 PM »
What did her race, hill climbs?
Why do you ask? I don't quite understand? ???

5 minutes later..............I think I get it.....the sprocket??? Yup, it's sure a doozie!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:30:24 PM by firko »

mx250

« Reply #326 on: November 30, 2009, 01:44:44 PM »
What did her race, hill climbs?
Why do you ask? I don't quite understand? ???

5 minutes later..............I think I get it.....the sprocket??? Yup, it's sure a doozie!
Yep, I was referring to the sprockets - the front is as small as the rear is large :o.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 30, 2009, 03:30:28 PM »
So there are 8-fin 250 barrels & 9-fin 250 barrels, each with & without the scollop down the sides. (Be interesting to know if the porting was diff inside). And 2 diff heads. Radial head sure does look a little 'irregular' on the barrel.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:39:11 PM by JC »

firko

« Reply #328 on: November 30, 2009, 07:01:38 PM »
Here's the ACK heads I have. You can see the close resemblence to the American Eagle item. The head on the engine is on my RT1 engine in the Cheney and the other is going on my DT1 motor.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 30, 2009, 07:53:33 PM »
MARK
i have read on the weedy site that there was guys casting cz stuff in the usa including heads and inlet manifolds.i think that they were marked jok
cheers
jim