Author Topic: Classic Dirt Track Images.  (Read 691325 times)

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Dirt Track Images.
« Reply #1095 on: December 04, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
Yeah I know , Mark your pics a siiting there staring at me accusingly, soon  mate , there's been a bit on !!
Had a great day that day at Griffith, none of the Top Gun A graders showed, so we had a ball !!

Dave , I did know Reggie Southgate quite well, he was at the '75 Bendigo Longtrack with TD, Jim and I. He used to bring his luvverly 350 JAP to my place at Taralga for me to sort it, here's one of the only 2 pics I have of him.

Reg in the Cowra pits with TD and #215 Tim Oliver and TD's bro Mark, dunno who #933 is , but Don Staffords spare bike is in shot , on the trailer.

By the way , Slides, does this look the same as yours ? Elstar B40

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:12:38 PM by JAP 454 »

Curly3

« Reply #1096 on: December 04, 2012, 08:41:14 PM »
Exactly, except mine has a reverse cone megaphone as per this sketch, in my fathers handwriting from around 67.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 04, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
Found this article in Two Wheels OCT 75,The first bit has been ripped out so I hope it makes sense :)

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 04, 2012, 08:51:35 PM »
All good Foss,   great pic of the boys in the pits. Love those type of pics.
 What about that B40  Slides,.. what a pisser! And you've got one :D
  Regards   Mark

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 04, 2012, 09:10:21 PM »
Great stuff, Smed , EA and I were in the crowd at Liverpool for the Polish tour, my standout memory is of Zenon Plech riding halfway up the boards on turn 2 , staying on and winning !!.
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #1100 on: December 04, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »
I was at the Liverpool meeting.
Yeah Mark and here it is with childhood hero Billy Mack on board at Amaroo Park.

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: December 04, 2012, 09:50:27 PM »
This one is for SMED...........Check out my leathers, hanging up in my old garage, before I moved to Terrigal.......LITTLE PURPLE.....and LARGER PURPLE !!
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Curly3

« Reply #1102 on: December 04, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »
Have you still got the Jawa?

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: December 04, 2012, 10:22:17 PM »
No, I bought it second hand in '99 I think.......a Fab Bike.....I was always disappointed I'd never tried speedway.....so I was going to have a ride at Gosford.......my first ride was the Opening day of the speedway track at Barleigh Ranch......There must be a photo floating around of Stephen Davies, Me and another Rider ( can't remember who now ) taken at the entrance to the track, before we all took turns riding it solo. KD might know where the photo is. To be honest, I just didn't enjoy it...It wasn't me.......so I sold it.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: December 06, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »
Here Ya go , Dave I found the other shot of Reggie

Lunch break in the Cowra pits, My Elstar in foreground, Mark Day back to camera, TD with St. George body colour, Reg looking very pensive, dunno who old mate is kneeling next to Reg, I do have a suspicion who it might be , any clues from the Griffith Mafiosi ?? and EA feeding our two sprogs, Kerry and Brian

Righto, Smoko over, back to the shed,
Foss
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:56:02 AM by JAP 454 »

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: December 06, 2012, 10:10:51 AM »
Bloody hell Foss,  That is an excellent photo. Just captures the mood. It keeps on going back through the trees.  If the fella kneeling had
lighter colour hair,....hmmm a Griffith boy I reckon. He might be on here as well.
  regards  Mark
  p.s. Lookin' good EA ;D

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: December 06, 2012, 08:06:24 PM »
Found this pic on the JAP engine facebook page, I think it's a beautifull bit of tackle.

Basic as all get out, no clutch, push start on the valve lifter, rolling starts in the early days and what a domination of world speedway by one engine manufacturer for so long, I think the last world title, Longtrack I think, that was won on a JAP powered bike was Egon Muller in '74 or there abouts.
Foss

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: December 06, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »
Yeah Foss, nice old bike,.....now don't change the subject :D Regarding that photo of
EA and the boys at Cowra. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Also I reckon EA is making you a Spam sanga for lunch!

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: December 06, 2012, 08:22:24 PM »
GOLD !! Foss, both the JAP and the Cowra pits shot.......you're right Slider.....great atmosphere shot !! The first time I went to Woodstock it was middle of winter........we rocked up to THE SMALLEST HOTEL ON THE PLANET and bought a bottle MUSCAT or the like.......we were camping under the Willow trees and it was FREEZING !!.......memories, memories. I had a lot of mates who worked for the Public Works Dept in the 70's and if you check out the cop shop in Woodstock......It's HUGE !! : REASON : They built it in the wrong town.....bloody government !!

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: December 06, 2012, 08:33:33 PM »
Foss, I have to correct you on one observation, the guy and the girl in the background of the PURPLE JAP photo, is John and Merrilyn Corben, Central MCC members. John won the 125 Final in '73.