Author Topic: The Holy Grail...resto  (Read 17580 times)

Re: The Holy Grail...resto
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 08:05:53 PM »
This thing is really starting to come together. All the parts that were missing have been sourced . Got onto a guy from Holland that speaks no english. Lucky dads a dutchy himself so we were able to get all the hard to get parts from him.
Check out the tank. Its the early style as the rest of the bike is as well. I already had a tank which is the same as the side pipe which they went to on later year twin pipes. I really wanted the early tank and now it has turned up, as far as I'm concerned, money well spent. It has never had fuel in it! Brand new!
Also the clutch cover is also brand bloody new. I couldn't believe it. Its amazing what's out there if you are lucky enough to find the right guy. I still have some parts coming from S.A as well.
Dad is the one doing all the work on this. I have been putting my hand in my pocket for all the parts and will assemble the motor when  ::) we get the crank and barrel back.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 08:05:49 PM »
Com'on Brad, next instalment please, tell Bert to shake a leg, I want to see what she's going to look like finished. Lucky buggar
Its certainly looking bloody good so far, and if its anything like you and your dad have built before she well be a beaut.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »
Hey bud :D
You in the new homestead?
We hit a minor snag with a few parts being wrong but in the process of sorting that bit out. Dad is close to having a roller going. he had a swing arm axle made today so I will have to go round on the weekend to take a couple more shots.

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 04:45:47 PM »
honsestly people complain earily honda parts are hard to find and you found a new tank for a cz twinpipe geez cant complain   ::)
MUGEN power

TM BILL

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »
honsestly people complain earily honda parts are hard to find and you found a new tank for a cz twinpipe geez cant complain   ::)

I think thats a testament to Firkos theory that there is still plenty of bikes and parts out there if you are prepared to look.
Brad has a real passion for this twin pipe and is obviously putting in the effort to find the parts and bring this bike back to life  :)

Many people me included give up to easily because they couldn't find their own arses with both hands and a map  ::)

The fact that Brad and his Dad Bert are working on this project together is way cool.
I really enjoy it when my Dad visits and we can do a bit on the bikes together :)

This Bike will be a stunner when finished and you can bet it will be a race winner to  8) not a garage queen  :)

albrid-3

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 03:29:31 PM »
I have a friend in S.A. who has got cz twin port parts.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 03:44:17 PM »
tm bill/brad
i work on all my bikes with my 86 y,o, dad.the workshop is at his place.he used to race in england and also at nepean.he has a 3rd in over 50 club championships from the 70s i still have the trophy along with my 2 from the 70s.

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2009, 05:53:39 PM »
I have a friend in S.A. who has got cz twin port parts.

I have already bought Bobs' parts.  ;D

tm bill/brad
i work on all my bikes with my 86 y,o, dad.the workshop is at his place.he used to race in england and also at nepean.he has a 3rd in over 50 club championships from the 70s i still have the trophy along with my 2 from the 70s.
Cool.
I'm off to Dad's tomorrow myself to put the motor together.

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2009, 11:05:44 PM »
Typically, we hit a snag. We had to change a gear over on the gear box set we were using. The problem was that it was held on the shaft by another gear that was pressed on. We don't have a press. Also another small hitch was that we didn't have two 7mm diameter bolts that are part of the series of bolts that hold the head on. Is there an easy source for 7mm diameter bolts anyone ? Maico's have a few random 7mm bolts as well, stupid idea!

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2009, 11:10:11 PM »
It is looking pretty good so far thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Ji Gantor

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2009, 11:49:30 PM »
Hi Brad,
I purchased some 7mm bolts off Les of Mainly Maico for the rear sprocket.
Give him a call.
I also found a chap in the Uk that sells 7mm bolts.

Ji

oldfart

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 07:56:52 AM »
Have you tried , Just off Stamore Road   gassman Drive 

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 08:07:11 AM »
No last time I went up to Moss Street when I needed them.I have been told MCS has 7mm chain adjuster bolts. Just need to cut them down.
Will check the nut and bolt place out first though Stew.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2009, 08:06:40 PM »
Hey bud :D
You in the new homestead?
We hit a minor snag with a few parts being wrong but in the process of sorting that bit out. Dad is close to having a roller going. he had a swing arm axle made today so I will have to go round on the weekend to take a couple more shots.

Good luck finding the 7mm bolts Brad, isnt it a bitch when its a little thing like that.
We are moving to the new 'YZ Rest Home' on the 28 Nov. I hate moving already and I think I might be a vmx horder.  ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2009, 08:12:04 PM »
did you try classic fasteners Brad in Sth Australia? they advertise in VMX mag.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)