Author Topic: Budget Beeza  (Read 31426 times)

firko

Re: Budget Beeza
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 04:33:03 PM »
Here's a couple of Rickman hubs. These examples are a tad expensive, I've found them for half that price. You just have to hang in there and cheap ones will turn up. REH and Sprite go for around the same price as Rickman... $50-$120. If you're really on a budget, a good low buck front hub is the nice little full width Yamaha MX125/AT1 item. It's light, cheap as chips, comes on all sorts of different models and stops as well as the Yamaha conical. The Yammy hub is legal because it dates back to the mid sixties. I'm going to use one on my Hindall DT1 pre '70 bike.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Montesa-Rickman-Triumph-Zundapp-Front-Wheel-Hub Assy_W0QQitemZ110491250903QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b9cab0d7
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RICKMAN-ZUNDAPP-1971-FRONT-HUB-NICE-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ260555917771QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3caa57c9cb

mainline

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 11:12:36 PM »
Sorry about the Hi Jack Mainline

no worries there mate, as long as the flow of information continues i don't give a rats ;D

There's a shiteload of info in this thread, which is where I started off....http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=7957.0

As far as $ are concerned, my forks, triples, and front and rear hubs cost me under $300 delivered. Senor Firko put me onto the fact that the Rickman Zundapp ('74 model only) has the 35mm forks plus the right hubs. I found a seller that had the bits listed under "Rickman Zundappp" rather than Betor etc.. and picked them up pretty cheap. 

Looks like you've got twice the number of emails headed your way now Firko ;D

firko

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2010, 10:39:32 AM »
While we're on the subject, I'll repeat the mantra that the humble little Rickman Zundapp is the best kept secret in the sport for those who like to dabble in engine swaps, specials or hot rod vintage bikes. The company made thousands of them, mostly exported to America where they are now being dragged out of barns and thrown on eBay for six pack money. I picked up a virgin '74 frame for less than $100 and it's currently receiving a 250 Maico square barrel engine and special Mk3 bodywork and will hopefully debut at CD7. You've all seen Jonesys Ugly Betty Yoshimura SL125 powered version and another mate is assembling parts to build one with DT1 power. My mate in the UK Ben is building one for his Dad using BSA B25 power.
below: here's one that sold last night.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260556552578&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D8133162211560152592

albrid-3

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2010, 12:44:32 PM »
mark, there was a zundapp frame and tank at the ballarat swap meet for $950 this weekend, greeves frame $800, so they still pop up, l don`t think it sold.

firko

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2010, 02:32:46 PM »
mark, there was a zundapp frame and tank at the ballarat swap meet for $950 this weekend l don`t think it sold.
For that money I doubt it would sell Dave. That's the sad truth about swapmeets in the new millenium. While you can still find the occasional bargain, the reality is that the prices haven't kept on the same level as eBay and other auction sites. Prior to eBay that Rickman frame would have been a good deal but even taking the shipping costs from the USA into account, eBay is still generally cheaper.
when i was looking for frame for b-40 i came across one that i think had a zundapp donk( bloke wasn't sure)but i didn't know if i could successfully graft in b-40 so i let it go,but i spose if a b25 fits it would of been ok?
I seem to recall Ben telling me that a B50 engine is too tall to fit into the Micro Metisse frame but as the photo below shows, the B25 goes in really well. You'll also notice that the B25 bike has retro fitted Mk 3 Metisse bodywork in place of the boxier Mk 4 items. Bens Dad had the same philosophy as me in not liking Mk4 bodywork very much but loving the rounder, more flowing Mk3 design. As a Mk 3 tank wont fit because it's 4" too long and the Bultaco Petite Metisse tank, even though it's the right length, won't fit because of the different shaped underside of the tank, we were up shit street for a cure to the problem until Ben started producing a body kit based on the short Mk3 Petite Metisse with an underside to suit the Micro frame. At 250 UK quid it's a bargain. I've got a yellow set on the way now. I've also shown a couple of shots of different engines in Micro frames.
Below: Bens dads B25 Micro.

Jonesys SL125 Micro Metisse

My under construction Maico 250 Micro

RT1 360 Yamaha Micro

Special tank for the Mk3 conversion

Compete Mk4/Mk3 conversion kit with high front guard. You can order a low guard if that's your bag. I did.

mainline

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
nice socks Firko ;D

firko

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2010, 03:31:54 PM »
Thank you Paul but they're Pommy Bens socks. I've asked him to throw a pair in with my Metisse body kit. Groovy.

Curly3

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »
Very interesting thread. At the risk of looking like a boofhead, I have a question.
Would a 67 B40 engine in an "award winning" C15 frame be eligible for pre 65 competition?

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2010, 08:19:41 PM »
As the rule book say's "All except B44 and b50" so any engine with b40 stamped on the crank case should be fine. I think this would be the best pre 65 engine you could build, with a little machining a b44 alloy round cylinder, head & crank would fit in. The crankcases were the same as a b44 with end feed oil to the bigend, ball & roller main bearings. The BSA rough rider model would make a great Pre 65 mxer as it is stamped as a b40 with all the b44 running gear it was the last of the b40's.

firko

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2010, 10:46:27 PM »
Very interesting thread. At the risk of looking like a boofhead, I have a question.
Would a 67 B40 engine in an "award winning" C15 frame be eligible for pre 65 competition?
Yep, it should be OK.
I should have also mentioned that the Micro Metisse frame in my previous post isn't legal for pre 65, or pre 70 for that matter.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2010, 11:08:22 PM »
B44 barrel wont fit B40 cases. Ive been there and tryed that. Different size studs and spacing. Im pretty sure the cases are not 'identical' either.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

firko

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2010, 11:13:49 PM »
B44 barrel wont fit B40 cases. Ive been there and tryed that. Different size studs and spacing. Im pretty sure the cases are not 'identical' either
Correct. This very scenario is the basis for the still outstanding pre 65 class protest from the Conandale Nats.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2010, 09:15:32 AM »
Hey curly  I'am a little behind on this subject "award winning"c15 frame ,do i sense tongue in cheek ? correct me if i'am wrong but isn't c15 frame identical to b40 (geometry)whether it's a scramble,trial or enduro? any help apreciated  ???

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2010, 07:57:24 PM »
Sorry if I got it wrong but I read in Rupert Ratio book that all four unit single engines of the G spec (1967) used the same crank case casting with differing stud pattern and different mouth dia's. So I assumed that you could fill the stud holes remachine them and open out the mouth of the case to fit the B44 parts. Sorry again for missleading anyone. Rory

Curly3

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2010, 08:08:13 PM »
Tongue firmly in cheek Huski, I have a C15 that won the Rat Bike award at the Klub Kevlar Show & Shine Noel Clarke benefit, there's a photo in another thread.
The dilemma I have is that I have a B40 engine that was in an Elstar slider frame that scored a 3rd at the Aussie titles in 69, to ride this bike in competition I'll be up against all the 500 Japs, Jawas & other upright engines.
My thinking is to put the engine in the C15 and ride it in the Pre 65 class and I have a B50 engine that I can put in the Elstar.
Sorry to hijack this thread.
Steve