Author Topic: Motorcycling Australia  (Read 52514 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycling Australia
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 02:21:15 PM »
We had the same problem with MA requiring all trees to be removed within 3 meters of the track outline, but the local council stepped in and said 2 species where protected up here and it was illegal to remove them (Boab and Bauhinia), so now we have these 200yr old monsters as track markers.
My assumption was that MA would come back with a "OK so now you have to move the track away from the trees" solution, but no they have just passed it as it stands...trees and all.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
Whew....That's got my two pet hates, insurance companies and MA off my chest in one fell swoop. I feel better now. ;D

Hey Firko as MA self-insure these days I would say that your two pet hates have become one in the same. How's that for progress?  ;D

Cheers
Shaun

Simo63

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »
We had the same problem with MA requiring all trees to be removed within 3 meters of the track outline,

Surely that's more to do with the risk that a rider will hit the tree rather than the tree dropping a branch onto the rider

Simo63

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 02:37:06 PM »
Whew....That's got my two pet hates, insurance companies and MA off my chest in one fell swoop. I feel better now. ;D

Hey Firko as MA self-insure these days I would say that your two pet hates have become one in the same. How's that for progress?  ;D

Cheers
Shaun

You might find they have their own policy underwritten and that is what might be causing the rises.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 02:44:32 PM »
Yeah Simo basically MA is now an insurance company. Here is some background from their web site.

Background

Insurance has been a major issue not only for Motorcycling Australia but for most other sporting organisations.

Following the insurance crisis that escalated during 2001/02, Motorcycling Australia formed its own insurance company (MA Insurance Limited) to ensure our sport had a viable future in what were difficult times.

MA Insurance Limited

MA Insurance Limited commenced business on 1 January 2003 and covers Personal Accident Insurance for competitors, officials and others and the first $2 Million of risk in a $50 million liability policy. Both these policies have been granted an exemption under Government legislation to provide cover as they are designed to do.

In addition to this, MA has developed a third policy which has also been granted an exemption - this policy is for Australian competitors who are competing overseas. It is underwritten by MA Insurance Limited and managed by Aon, our broker, and offers a simple process and application to effect this insurance for any rider with overseas ambitions.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 02:47:41 PM »
Try sitting on the SCB Board , like I did for 5 years.....believe it or not it's not all about revenue raising.... Anyone from QLD can answer you the fun they have.. MAQLD have many times more money in the coffers than any other states combined... look at the Wyaralong property... and also Broady from a Vic perspective... wish we had done something like that long ago in WA... sit on the other side of the fence...you may get a suprise..

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 03:01:29 PM »
i would expect that the due diligence and associated risk would be two fold , proximity of the hazard in respect to crash injury and also the hazard in repsect to damage associated with a falling tree or part there of. etc.

Shauns absolutley correct relating to the MA insurance policies . The policies are however still underwritten by others parties.
This a rather unique way of capping costs for the MA group , otherwise insurance costs could reach unsustainable levels.

I recently  competed overseas and utilised the MA overseas rider policy through Aon and it was very uncomplicated , very comprehensive in its coverage and it was in place same day as we made the application.

Some may think not , but we have some good people at MA , very capable of thinking outside the square.
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 03:53:45 PM »
MA are struggling for money but they just bought a $10K CZ, I guess at least all their bikes can be snapped-up cheap when they go bust?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »
We had the same problem with MA requiring all trees to be removed within 3 meters of the track outline,

Surely that's more to do with the risk that a rider will hit the tree rather than the tree dropping a branch onto the rider
Yeah, I'm sure it does, but this was added to a list of requirements to be met before a scheduled annual track inspection at the end of this month. It just amused me that they where happy for us to cut down a number of 200 yr old tree for track safety, but hadn't considered leaving the tree and moving the track ....after all the tree was there long before we came along.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:00:00 PM by evo550 »

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »
MA are struggling for money but they just bought a $10K CZ.

I suspect I may know exactly who's behind that  :D ;)  I think we should be a little careful in how much we slag off the #1 governing body in the sport though. Of course everyone has a right to air there opinion but sometimes not all decisions are completely understood by both sides of the fence. That doesn't necessarily make them bad or wrong decisions. Just like common law in general you don't have to agree with it and how it all works to know that we'd pretty screwed without it!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:27:29 PM by Rookie#1 »
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 07:04:02 PM »
Just back from a holiday up north in the FNQ tropics, here is a lovely letter from MA asking me why I had not renewed my MA stewards license. First up I have explained this already to them twice , being as I now work 48 weekends a year...... Now comes with an attachment telling me I have to fork out $11 for the renewal AND $100 non refundable for bullshit "working with children "certificate.  Yep that does get up my goat in many ways!
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 09:52:29 PM »
So lets take it out on the insurance companies that milk our hard earned dollar in every facet of our lives. Public risk liability and OH&S are killing small business, sports associations and just about any organisation that has human interaction involved. The leeches are continually finding new ways to scare government and administration bodies into adopting new legislation (and more expensive insurance coverage) to protect us from ourselves. Look behind everything we do in modern society and you'll find a smiling fat cat insurance company stuffing hundred dollar bills into its pockets by the millions.

I'll be seatbelts on MXers soon enough.. >:(
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 10:49:57 AM »
tim 754 we don`t have the "working with childern cert" yet in NSW but it`s only time i guess.
so you fork out $100 out your pocket and pass the cert you can`t get a  back from MA.
i gather you are a level 4 as you are quoting MA but is this the same for MV

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 11:11:01 AM »
Key officials in NSW have to sign a Working with Children statement as it stands now.
Foss

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »
Key officials in NSW have to sign a Working with Children statement as it stands now.
What exactly is a 'Working with Children' certificate? It sounds like political correctness run amok ::).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha