Author Topic: VICTORIAN MX Tracks  (Read 29957 times)

Offline torm92

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: VICTORIAN MX Tracks
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2009, 09:53:59 PM »
No one has mentioned Nunnawading
Restoring YZ 50,60, 80, 100 and 125. Racing a 490 and a 250. Have a complete collection of J,s.

Jumbo

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2009, 06:46:11 PM »
Colac started in the 50`s,  6 mile dam era 50 `s 60`s,
 kettle park 60`s to 80`s, kettles yeo 50`s 60`s,
 Barrongarook 60`s for one year only ,
 rye reserve Barrongarook 80`s to current
Morwell.
Great Western in the middle of Race horse track early 50`s to mid 70`s
Alcoa Geelong area, early 50`s
Barrabool 50`s  at the old track same farm in another paddock over the back
Newtown Ballarat ran by Melbourne Club,
Moyston 50`s to 60`s
Sunbury 60`s
Korweinguboora 40`s to 60`s Australia renowned Mud Scrambles
vite vite 50`s to 60`s era
Tower hill, 50`s to 60`s era ( Warnambool)
Avoca 50`s to 60`s
heywood early 70`s
Mt gambier 50 to 70`s
Mortlake 50`s to mid 70`s
horsham
casterton
naracoorte all part of the western centre
stawell
Ararat
Arther creek
, Beaconsfield

Dave have you forgotten:-
Portarlington in the 50's
Near the You Yangs was a sand track to practice on.
let my brain be cast back!

albrid-3

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2009, 07:00:02 PM »
NUMBER 8, Calder, 1972, l was their, Gary Adams was the only Australia That put on a very good show, The Euro, then Adams, he was racing the AJS at the time.
Jumbo, l didn`t know those tracks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:01:41 PM by albrid-3 »

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2009, 02:05:27 PM »
Anybody remember the 1979 Australian Minibike Champs at Bendigo. All red sand next door to the go kart track, only one race there, practised there a bit in later years the red sand was a by product from gold mining. 
Yep, remember it well - it was the 1st time I'd seen the "wonder kid" from W.A. - Jeff Leisk!
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2009, 06:09:59 PM »
NUMBER 8, Calder, 1972, l was their, Gary Adams was the only Australia That put on a very good show, The Euro, then Adams, he was racing the AJS at the time.
Hey Dave, maybe it was Gary Adams not Gary Flood as I remembered.Was it a muddy race?The meeting that I saw wasn't dusty as number 8 mentioned but the total opposite.It was a total wash out , a real quagmire with both riders and bikes unrecognisable.Anyway I remember the commentators wrapping up this young Aussie bloke who won the race.Apparently it was part of a series but the organisers canceled the points for that muddy one. :)

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »
I think Gary Flood was riding in England at the time and Trevor Flood had a broken wrist. And it was as dry as a wooden tit'.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2009, 10:36:59 PM »
They claim that Hamilton used to get dusty...................

Nice pic Tony!

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2009, 04:55:23 AM »
Hey Dave, maybe it was Gary Adams not Gary Flood as I remembered.Was it a muddy race?The meeting that I saw wasn't dusty as number 8 mentioned but the total opposite.It was a total wash out , a real quagmire with both riders and bikes unrecognisable.Anyway I remember the commentators wrapping up this young Aussie bloke who won the race.Apparently it was part of a series but the organisers canceled the points for that muddy one.

Moto,

I think you must be thinking of another meeting,

KB

I think you are right about GF,

I remember at the Calder meeting standing on a corner when Joel Robert came round and stopped after shearing the sprocket off the factory Suzuki's hub,

Albrid,

I was at the Australian titles at Wallan when Gary Adams won the Aust Ulimited title on the AJS very dusty meeting,

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2009, 07:37:10 PM »
If anyones interested I created an opportunity to examine the site of the Chistmas Hills track (arguably the best track in the state) last summer when Sugarloaf Dam was at a record low. Sadly I have to report the track is completely unrecognisable. I stood there for some time trying to visualise where it was but came up short. It seems that the track and all its features had been bulldozed big time. Can anyone verify that? I found the footings of the (I think) Ashmore farmhouse and little else. I took some photos and buggered off before I was sent to Guantanemo after being captured poking around Melbournes water supplies!

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2009, 06:32:27 PM »
Talking to GMC the other day and the conversation turned to the old Wallan track on Ray Owens property. For the life of us neither of us could remember how to get there. Weirdly we had both tried to find it on Google Earth but to no avail. The best we could remember was "Take the Beveridge exit turn off" after that it all got a little vague...... Can anybody remember? Jerry

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2009, 08:50:18 PM »
Good talking to you the other day Jerry, should have charged you by the hour though ;D ;D

Best as I can remember it was turn off the hume at Beveridge, then turn right into Old Sydney Rd.
It was somewhere on the left along Old Sydney Rd. or is this where I'm going wrong?

This is a good thread but it has cost me countless hours searching on Google Earth.
Was trying to find our old track Newtown as well, but couldn't seem to find any trace of it.

Ah the joys of now having Satelite broadband, I can now waste my days in so many new ways. ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2009, 01:26:56 PM »

I will find out the facts for Newtown but I raced at Mortlake in 78.
Others for the list, Horsham, Stawell (My first win here) & Ararat

Viper666
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »
You guys got me thinking about the old Hallam track in Abbott Road (the old home of Dandenong Juniors before they merged with DMCC and went to Wonthaggi).  It's been shut down for about 9 years, but the control tower & back fence are still visible..

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=hallam+victoria&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=au&ei=zrN3SoOZIZCuswOXt9HsBA&ll=-38.011407,145.261464&spn=0.001817,0.002527&t=h&z=19

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »
Govenor Rd Mordialloc was a vacant block of land for many years used by kids. it then became a pay to ride track and believe it or not they actually ran an open meeting there (Frankston MCC) i know this as i knocked myself out with concussion and played the memory game with st johns for an hour till i came good.

The other place Bahnsy was called Labertouche trail bike park if its what i think you are refering to.

What i was really hoping for here guys is dates when tracks started and finished, not just the track names and i really wanted to make it RACE Tracks, not practice tracks

Hoony, not sure how far you ever got with this. Was it kicked off again elsewhere??  Pity you never got many dates, surely people must know . . .

Anyway, we just went through 15 month VCAT hearing over Barrabool and dredged through all old docs and stuff we  had.  So many people out there that had info stashed away!!
Have inserted dates for Barrabool and Breakwater in Geelong (and put in alphabetical order ;D).
Bacchus Marsh
Bairnsdale
Barrabool (McAdam Park) (Geelong) Nov. 1962 to now (for now! :o) Western paddock first then to present  location after a few years
Beaconsfield
Breakwater (Geelong) Approx 1965 till Dec. 2007  >:(
Broadford
Castlemaine
Christmas Hills 
Granite Park Raceway (Seymour)
Lakes Entrance
Longwarry
Maryborough
Melton x 2 Tracks (1 is present)
Merriang (Myrtleford)
Monza Park (Ballarat)
Mortlake
Narre Warren(old days)
Newry
Newtown (Ballarat)
Outtrim (Korumburra)
Pakenham
Ravenswood (Bendigo) 
Rosebud
Shepperton
Springvale
Sunbury
Taggerty (Alexandra)
Theres a few more but "Old timers" Has got me
Tooleen (Heathcote)
Traralgon
Wallan
Warrnambool
Wonthaggi from 1975 - Present 
Yarram
Yarrawonga

Funny though, this letter didn't surface till just a couple months ago . . . .

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:38:22 PM by Barra »

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2013, 12:39:43 PM »
Too hard to read!

The letter says:  10/9/1962.  To Sec. Geelong Sporting Motor Cycle Club,

In reply to your adv. in Sat. Geelong Advertiser. I would consider letting you have a course if it suited your purpose. I have plenty of hilly country probably suited for hillclimbs.  I am 10 or 11 miles from Geelong.

Yours sincerely,
C.R. McAdam
Ph. Gnarwarre 20

Good on ya Clive!!  You won't be forgotten!