Author Topic: VICTORIAN MX Tracks  (Read 29954 times)

Macca#35

Re: VICTORIAN MX Tracks
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2009, 06:07:36 PM »
Giday Hoonster!
Just for your interest there was a track in Berwick at the old airport, I dont think there was ever any race meetings there but I know alot of big names in there day used to ride there. I used to go there on mates Honda amego and xr 75's, saw my first MR 50 there, still remeber it well. Talking to Tom Scanlan (dmcc member who sadley passed away two weeks ago) and going through Roger Harvey's book he said that there was a track in berwick in early days but not sure of the excate location. Roger would be a good one to talk to, he knows alot of history around the local area
Catch ya soon
Macca

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
Hey Rossco86 if your still here on the weekend viper is at wonthaggi is on sunday. it will be cold there too.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2009, 10:07:02 PM »
Started riding sidecars with Russ Bergmier at the Ballarto Rd track just outside of Seaford and mini bikes at Arcona (?) Park  on the Princess Highway between Berwick amd Pakenham. Also remeber riding sub-juniors at Cerbrus naval base, rained and being on sand it became like quick sand. remember Grant Cramer stepping off his bike bogged to the axles and needing 4 blokes to set it free. The Hartwell club also started the MX track out the back of the Granite Park short circuit track. Also had a great time on the Rally Cross track at Calder which was televised on Channel 10. Back in vic at the moment and can't get over how cold it is, staying out at Pakenham. And yes it was worth the trip from Mackay. Go Sainters!

Was that the one(at calder) when DeCoster and Robert came out? Floody whipped em good!

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2009, 07:16:31 AM »
I was only young at that Calder meeting but I dont remember Floody or any Australian,whipping any of of the Euro's may be wrong?

TT

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2009, 07:52:25 AM »
Here's Colac in 1982.
The first time I raced in B-grade and the first time I'd seen quads. Scared the shit out of me for a while..............  :o

Notice the crowd in the background in the second shot. Not bad for a Western Centre meeting.  ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2009, 09:35:13 AM »
Also note the pigtail/mullet on the rider  ;D ...Way Goovy man
Sure I've seen that somewhere on this forum before  8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

miniwheels

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2009, 09:52:57 AM »
Another racetrack that was around from the mid 70's maybe until early 80's was Diamond Valley in Broadmeadows, they held race meetings from mini's to big bores about once a month until the urban sprawl got to close and they had to close it down. 

firko

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2009, 10:14:47 AM »
I only ever went there once but thought that Mortlake was the coolest track for vintage racing I'd seen. When did it stop being used?

gator

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »
Tony is that Mark christian 54 .Yes Firko Morlake was a great track nice hill's am sure there were no jump's on that track 2

TT

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2009, 02:54:22 PM »
Tony is that Mark christian 54

Yep!  ;D
I wondered if anyone would know who it was.

FWIW I think that's David Maddern from Mt. Gambier in the top shot.  ???
I'll see if I can dig out some more.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2009, 04:15:52 PM »
I was only young at that Calder meeting but I dont remember Floody or any Australian,whipping any of of the Euro's may be wrong?

Well it happened and was televised.I saw it although the names didnt mean much to me then.The topic came up when I went to WA for MXdN in 92 with a few of the old boys.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2009, 04:44:52 PM »
I also went to the International meeting at Calder Park, part of a 3 race series. It was hot, dry and dusty and the Aussies where not in the same league as the Euro boys. Trevor Flood had a part share in a motorbike shop on Nepean Highway, in the Reg Hunt Golden Mile, fronted by local car dealer Tony Rule. Lucky enough to meet all the internationals who enjoyed a beer or two and did minibike racing in the car park. Unsure if Bubba and Chad would do that. In the group was DeCoster, Joel Robert, Andy Robertson, Willie Bauer and a couple more. Would luv to go to Viper at Wonthaggi on the Weekend as I last rode that track in 74 and came second in the Vic Champs, Non Expert Division 1 section as they had just changes over from A, B, C grade. There was the two brothers from the Dandy club that crashed their cars into each other with one leaving the track for a beer run while the other was returning. Police nabbed Russel and me on the 850 norton on the Highway doing the beer run for the Dads as they were too pissed. Pity we were only 16. Coppers took us back to the dads who thoroughly gave it to us so they looked liked responsible parents. Have a good weekend Viper boys I'm back off on the Tiger airways. better assist by flapping the arms. Does anyone remeber the Tulip street practice track in Sandringham and the salt pans at Fisherman's wharf.

TT

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2009, 08:21:14 PM »
They claim that Hamilton used to get dusty................... I don't believe it........................  ::)

Alan Jukes from Casterton.

Offline TC91

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2009, 08:06:15 PM »
Anybody remember the 1979 Australian Minibike Champs at Bendigo. All red sand next door to the go kart track, only one race there, practised there a bit in later years the red sand was a by product from gold mining. Caloola Park dirt track and mx track still there but banned. What about the Shepparton club running a meeting in the quarrie where the gun club is on the Benalla side early 70's. Warracknbeal ran a dirt track on the trotting track in town from 1980 till 1985. St Arnaud from real early (60's?) till 1978 or 9. Campbells Creek,

geoff22

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2009, 09:39:06 PM »
Yep I raced at that meeting. I do remember that there was a heap of injuries during the 4 days. I think that track was at Marong just out of bendigo. That meeting was in the days when Aust. minibike champs had to be run on a track no one had ever ridden on so no one had an advantage.