Author Topic: Lest we Forget.  (Read 30257 times)

firko

Re: Lest we Forget.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 10:53:48 am »
In 1970 my number came up in the ballot to be called up for National Service but it was deferred until I had ended my apprenticeship and extra curricular courses (and later cancelled altogether by the Whitlam government). The same thing happened to David Booth,an apprentice boilermaker mate in the same year, but he felt strongly enough about our committment to the war to defer his apprenticeship and do his active service.
Sadly, Dave was killed in battle only a month after arriving in Vietnam. He was a wild, funny and beautiful bloke who felt so strongly for the job being done in Vietnam he took the hard option and sadly paid for it with his life. Every Anzac Day I think fondly of Dave and the other young blokes who took the 'hard option' or had no option at all and didn't return. I shed a tear for Dave and the others at the Penrith dawn service this morning.

Lest We Forget.

Curly3

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 12:07:53 pm »
We are the lucky ones enjoying the lives that they gave theirs for. And also to the ones who carried the scars of what they went through, we can only imagine.
Lest we forget.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 01:49:51 pm »
    Thank you.
  Lest we forget.
A solemn day for me too, with family currently serving. I had a father and a father in law that served. They taught me that real men don’t shit on their mates. When you are in hell, that is all a man has, his mates and the value of their word. Ray also muttered a couple of times when we were pissed hanging off the bar at the West End Hotel, that the Owen Gun he was issued with in 1945 became a good friend too, after he had learnt to keep it clean. I have known plenty of old Diggers, some that suffered badly from their memories. No matter what, my father in law Ray, was always pretty happy, except for Anzac day, a great example of what a man can be. He never told anyone what they should do, he just lived his life how a man should live it.
At the end of his old age, cancer ridden and on the gear, he for the first time spoke of his earlier experiences with the enemy in Papua New Guinea. The enemy that he had no other choice, than to dispatch with his Bayonet. It was a time when I saw true sorrow  in a man’s eyes, even though he had hated them with a nearly quite passion for their barbaric atrocities, lest we forget, the truth.  He did his job and then carried the burden throughout life quietly, never loading it on to his beloved wife of nearly sixty years.
Needless to say, I, as no doubt we all are, am totally in gratitude to those who enlist and those who have stood and fallen before them, so not only can we can live, but live with a freedom of choice.

Brave Men and Women, we are in ore and we humbly thank you.

and thoughts for the families and freinds of all involved in todays NZ tradgedy.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 04:01:33 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 01:55:22 pm »
 Being a city councilor i did the rounds of services at the RSAs today.What a pleasure it was to see so many 30-40 yr olds with there kids respecting those that gave us our freedom.
"we will remember them"
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 02:13:34 pm »
we are a small group of expats here in what I call not far from the middle of no-where.  It was good to see so many turn out this morning for a brief but "good" (sorry loss of words) ceremony to show appreciateion for those who made today what it is for us.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 04:41:59 pm »
We lost 4 aircrew in a crash heading to the dawn service in Wellington today, makes the day even more sombre around here
Rest in peace guys

My daughter & son in-law are both in the RNZAF, a very sad day for us all.

Lest we forget
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

DR

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 05:31:38 pm »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 07:59:05 pm »
Dito
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline oldie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 09:48:22 pm »

Very hard to imagine the youth of today (the all about me generation) stepping up for their country today, sad fact isn't it.  :(

Not completely so Hoony. My boy stepped up for 8 month war zone duty in middel east. Yes stepped up. He had a choice.

Lets also remember those on active duty as well.

Many many thanks for a hugh dept we owe the ANZAC's.

I agree with Hoony, we aren't talking about your boy, it's the youth of to day, I wouldn't give you 2 bob for them.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 10:06:30 pm »
We are the lucky ones enjoying the lives that they gave theirs for. And also to the ones who carried the scars of what they went through, we can only imagine.
Lest we forget.

Yer its pretty hard to imagine even when you hear some of the stories.

Lest we forget.

terbo

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 10:12:43 pm »
lets also not forget our mates who died training in peace times.R.I.P.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 11:04:46 pm »

We clapped our hands off today in Sydney ...............after a very soggy dawn service in Castle Hill

To watch those gents and ladies march past to the strains of pipes, drums and brass bands was, as always, very sobering! Two things that stood out;

The WW2 ranks are thinning out surprisingly fast - I remember as a kid watching my dad's 460 squadron as a long column of strong men in their 40's and 50's now a handful (Dad died back in 2004)

The Vietnam vets looked strong so we will have to be there for a long time yet.

They gave so much so we could have the freedom we could enjoy and yet ten youths of "middle eastern appearance" trashed the Arncliffe RSL last night but thankfully the staff and coppers cleaned it all up save for a flag pole snapped off! The filthy gutless bastards !!!

They won't stamp out the pride we feel for our ex-service men and women !!!

Lest we forget................

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 04:19:49 pm »

Very hard to imagine the youth of today (the all about me generation) stepping up for their country today, sad fact isn't it.  :(

Not completely so Hoony. My boy stepped up for 8 month war zone duty in middel east. Yes stepped up. He had a choice.

Lets also remember those on active duty as well.

Many many thanks for a hugh dept we owe the ANZAC's.

I agree with Hoony, we aren't talking about your boy, it's the youth of to day, I wouldn't give you 2 bob for them.

All though I think most of todays youth have got it easy, you can't tar them all with the same brush. My nephew, who is in his early 20's is currently on his 3rd tour in Afganistan with the RAAF. His mother still blames it all on me (16 years in the RAN and a Gulf war vet), for making a military career sound good. I would dare to say that there are a lot parents of young people out there who are very worried about their children who are currently on active service in Afganistan and Iraq, but at the same time extremely proud of them for having the courage and commitment to join the armed forces when it is not the most popular thing to do.

Lest we Forget, both those who have gone before and those who still serve.

CJ

Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 06:25:31 pm »
Perhaps it's wise to remember the vast majority of deaths,wounds and injuries are are civillians, mostly women and childred.Also spare a thought for the countries like Vietnam, Loas and latterly Iraq that have had their country poisoned with chemicals like dioxin(as yet the strongest poison known to man) and agent orange.Laos had more bombs dropped on the country in 2 years than were dropped in the entire WW2 conflict.Unexploded ordenence is still killing dirt poor people trying to scratch out a existence.Then we have Iraq that has had 2 doses of depeted uranium spread over the country. In all these cases the killing and injuring of the local population goes on for many years after the hostilities end.
Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 06:29:16 pm »
Good one Lozza....not to mention the landmines left behind after the troops go home.