Author Topic: Bargain buy Honda  (Read 2855 times)

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Bargain buy Honda
« on: March 30, 2009, 06:42:27 pm »
I was the Clerk of Course at Tasmanian Mx Champs on the weekend(modern bikes) and was approached by a guy who said he had an old bike in his shed he wanted to get rid of, he though it was an mx250 he through that they arent worth much any more so he said if I wanted it I could have it for $100 I of course picked it up last night but it turned out to be a 1973 MT250 Honda which I dont no much about but is all there ,everything except the metal tank (it has a plastic tank fitted) it has good compression and starts and runs fine.
I hope you guys can tell me a bit about the MT model

Cheers
Fatboy

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Re: Bargain buy Honda
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:49:21 pm »
Could be another good project for you.  ;D
I have the feeling that they weren't particularly renowned for anything......

with apologies to any MT owners. :P

mx250

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:30:48 pm »
The MT was the trail bike version of the Elsinore. Honda did it arse about.

Yamaha made an evil handling trail bike called a DT1 and sold it in the boat loads because the punter didn't know any better (its nearest competitor being the BSA bushman ::)). Yamaha took the sow's ear and made the YZ250A from it and sold it in mere handfuls of the Blessed 'proven worthy' Chosen Ones.

Honda made the best MX'er of the period, the Elsy, and sold it in the boat loads. Honda took the silk purse  and turned it into a trail bike, the MT, and sold a handfuls to the mentally retarded.

Natural selection cut in, the MT died an unnatural death after a short ignoble time in the market place, all was return to normal, and we lived happily ever after ;D.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:34:07 pm »
nah i think your right my dad had one and said it was a bit of a heavy thing with not heaps of grunt but thats not to say i would never like one its a 250 two stroke so it cant be that bad and they definetley are collectable thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

mx250

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 07:45:16 pm »
I should have said 'good pickup', and it is. Worth keeping and worth restoring.

They did 'in the day' have a reputation of being overweight and under powered. Probably more a marketing timing perception. If it sold 2-5 years earlier it probably would have been considered a 'legend' bike.

How complete/original is it Fatboy?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 07:58:54 pm »
Best explanation yet MX250.... ;D
Wrap it up - put in in a box and sit it in the back of the shed and wait.........
Tomorrow on ebay it could get 5k,,,you just never know.  :P

Best is in the West !!

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 08:21:12 pm »
Hi,
Pictured below is My MT originally picked up for a cartoon of beer,
and put on the track as an entry level pre75 bike for about $350.00 dollars.
as with the CR's Second gear is a bit sus, lots of bits are interchangeable with the CR ,
a bit more weight due to mild steel frame ,steel tank, bigger brakes,cush drive rear wheel and steel rims as standard but
ally XL 250/350 wheels will fit , standard Carby is only 26mm and lots of room for porting
so plenty of available   improvement,
I actually like the way it handles and doesn't feel as harsh as a CR but when you ride a CR you notice the lack of weight
MT's were sold from 73' till 76' with little or no  upgrades,

cheers
Noel
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:25:23 pm by Noel »

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 08:48:08 pm »
Fatboy
Be interested to hear how the MT front brake backing panel compares to the one on your XL350

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 08:49:53 pm »
The one I got is very original even has the original porky pine style grips from the 70s wish it had the steel tank
it has an exhaust pipe that looks very much restrictive I would say standard for sure.
Cant complain for 100 bucks though hopefully will be a good restorer to get one of the young fellas at the club started in pre 75

Cheers
fatboy

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 09:57:55 pm »
yeah you definetley got a red hot deal for $100 would make a good bike with a few mods or even standard
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 11:11:15 pm »
sold one for $500 a few years back, never st=ated it but after a quick look over though it was not worth thrying and felt like a TS/Xl kinda road trail.

Still price is everything and who knows what you can use it for know a days, enduro ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 10:51:16 pm »
hey fatboy,
               guess what I have in stock ;D
MT250 tank (complete with small dent) and cap
kickstarter
2 carbs
flywheel cover
exhuast pipe

no rear hub because that is on MX? racebike.

MX? I am pretty sure that the only difference between the MT and XL wheels/brakes are the rims-steel v alloy and the MT runs 520 chain.

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 06:13:18 am »
Gorby your the man everything I need, tank and kitstarter anyway maybe exhaust if it is better than the one I have might be able to get it fixed up for broadford(maybe) I would like to try it out anyway

Cheers
fatboy