Author Topic: Eligilibty scrutineer at the Nationals  (Read 71185 times)

Mark Austin

Re: Eligilibty scrutineer at the Nationals
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2009, 09:03:54 pm »
I kind of get the feeling that "opening a can of worms" can be used to best describe this thread.....

Rosco400

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2009, 09:04:41 pm »
i thought the rule was no piggybacks or remote reservoirs on pre 78 bikes except for those Thermal Flow shocks

MOMS doesnt say no ???

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2009, 09:14:08 pm »
well there you go, it basically is open slather then :) i think there should be more restrictions and rules on things like rear shocks and less on things like if a front hub has some little bit of extra webbing or a cylinder has different finning for example. Is it fair or within the spirit of the era to have to have your bike fit the period/class but you then can still have the latest and greatest gas shocks with external adjustments?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:21:37 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 09:18:36 pm »
I kind of get the feeling that "opening a can of worms" can be used to best describe this thread.....

Sure, but it may well save opening a much bigger can at the nats, and you can all get on with the racing if these queries are straightened out early. Hats off to Dave for being pro-active and opening the discussion. Good to get these rules clarified item by item...unfortunately you still can't legislate against stubbornness or stupidity.

And Mark, claiming you were coached in eligibility by Marc de Caux is no great rap, he has finagled his way into Post-Classic period 4 Junior class (1972 cutoff) with an RR350 Harley-Davidson roadracer and has been getting away with it for over 10 years.... :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 07:01:57 am by GD66 »
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2009, 09:50:26 pm »
everyone who races at nats will know if there
bike is eligable for its class or not
scrutineering is mainly safety concerns
and the usual checks etc
so if you race the bike and someone protests and the bike is wrong
you have to wear it
because you would now you are wrong
if you are not sure about certain rules
regarding your bike  find out research it
you have time before the meeting
i am not talking if you have 10mm more travel than you should
its the obvious like fitment of later parts
that are not from that era etc
massive obvious travel etc  read the rule book if you are not sure
its not rocket science ;)

follow me to first turn

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2009, 10:01:00 pm »
Nah, HSB its the subtle and/or grey areas that are the worry.

The Yamaha front hub thing is a great example - I've been fitting the later hubs on the figuring that it was a non-issue, but now I have the opportunity to have the rules changed before it turns into a poop-fight.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

211kawasaki

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2009, 10:57:13 pm »
Rossco, shocks are fine, Piggy Back are OK even for pre 75 (Yamaha Thermos etc).

It was the numbers not the shocks!!! ;)

211kawasaki

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2009, 11:02:25 pm »
On the carby issue; this forum isnt about pre - clearence for your bike, the intent - in my view of 18.6.04 b) is pre 75. I think its been there since before pre 78 and EVO came to the GCRs. It is a subject that should be looked at and will. The Commission meets in a week or two, I will ensure its on the agenda.

Im sure there wont be problems with bikes that had them standard, Im sure that common sence will prevail.

211kawasaki

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2009, 11:07:33 pm »
i cant see what the reasons are for not allowing someone to race a pre 75 bike in the pre 78 class if they want to as they would be at a disadvantage anyway so why not just allow that?

When the Whitsunday Club put forward the suggestion for pre 78 the rationale came from the AHRMA and their rules for the class, it was the agreement of the State LCBs - well those who bothered to respond- that these rules represented a good guideline. One if these is the intent that it represent the first generation of LTR bikes hence its the only class that is only for that period and is limited in 18.7.6 as such.

211kawasaki

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2009, 11:14:21 pm »
Mark

HRR has its own set of rules, CMX and CDT have theirs for good or for bad, if you have a suggestion there is a State LCB that will take it on your behalf and the Commission will put it out there for discussion.

Im fortunate, I have never had the need to advise the Steward on a matter of eligibility in a protest. I want to keep it that way hence this forum allows the riders to ask some questions and to the best of my experience answer them.

The carby issue is a positive outcome, its a rule that is in need of the Commissions attention and I thank you for the information.

mx250

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2009, 12:33:12 am »
everyone who races at nats will know if there
bike is eligable for its class or not
scrutineering is mainly safety concerns
and the usual checks etc
so if you race the bike and someone protests and the bike is wrong
you have to wear it
because you would now you are wrong
if you are not sure about certain rules
regarding your bike  find out research it
you have time before the meeting
i am not talking if you have 10mm more travel than you should
its the obvious like fitment of later parts
that are not from that era etc
massive obvious travel etc  read the rule book if you are not sure
its not rocket science ;)

I'm with you Holey. I think the scrutineers should concentrate on safety issues and a 'silhouette' or 'passing glance' compliance to period. They maybe might make comment that a part might be liable to protest but I don't think they should stop a bike from starting because of some part/s non-conformance.

I don't think bikes with a suspension travel advantage should be allowed to race - clear cut, empirical, easy to check and gives too much advantage.

I would like to see any protest decided on the day. How? not certain, probably by a Chinese Parliament of the riders of the class - i.e. protested by a rider/s only and judged by peers.

In others words the bikes likely to win or place would be GCR compliant but Muggins making up the numbers at the back of the field (and having a good old time) might ride a non-complying bike that the punters hanging over the fence can't pick as been wrong.

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2009, 07:51:29 pm »
I am another to agree that this thread is one of the best yet,
Thanks for your responses Dave.

colmoody

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2009, 08:46:37 pm »
Dave that you have instigated this topic and then taken the time to read and answer everyone's question/query is a mighty effort.

If I was you and Nathan was me me would'nt bother turning up at a meeting that I was scrutineering at.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2009, 09:11:31 pm »
If I was you and Nathan was me me would'nt bother turning up at a meeting that I was scrutineering at.

???
I have absolutely no idea what this is about.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

colmoody

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2009, 10:10:18 pm »
Nathan (and anyone else of a like mind) I guess what I am trying to say is that in my time of racing Dirt Track I have been hosed off by plenty and on every occasion ABILITY not ELIGIBILITY has been the difference. Lets keep it that way for the sport and the Scrutineer's sake.

It's whatever the time is and I've consumed the obligatory two long necks and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and await to be howl'ed by the masses. In the nicest possible VMX forum way.