Author Topic: VMX247 XL350  (Read 64126 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: VMX247 XL350
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2009, 01:29:09 pm »
10am Saturday.
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2009, 04:39:05 pm »
2pm Saturday

Best is in the West !!

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 04:45:17 pm »
looking good you must be looking forward to getting it there that is a very nice looking bike you better check your list and check it twice though dont forget anything important thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 06:11:03 pm »
Lookin good for the long trip East guys. Kinda wish I was going now.
Like that Ultra light Eddy Mercxx style rear sprocket.  :)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2009, 06:57:03 pm »
5pm Saturday

JUST NEEDS SOME RED PAINT ,,

Got some Spectrum Red-it's a bit dull looking once it was on-international orange   ;)  ;D

Lookin good for the long trip East guys. Kinda wish I was going now.
Like that Ultra light Eddy Mercxx style rear sprocket.  :)

Thanks Red & Michael,its been 8 months of blood sweat and tears,(wish that money tree would grow faster  ;)  :P )
Should be a hoot of a time  :o

Best is in the West !!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2009, 06:59:54 pm »
mmmm - Steve - looks like I will lining up against you eh!

>:(

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

oldfart

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2009, 07:25:04 pm »
Love the little wings  ;D  see you there

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2009, 07:47:31 pm »
That bike looks so cool  8) have fun don't forget the camera.jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2009, 08:43:16 pm »
Hi Rosco.
I'm only running in the 4st all powers and sidecar. :-\ I was going to do other races and I did intend to get the TM going, but with Ben racing, the holiday after and all. the funds, time and inclination just don't seem to be able to keep up. I guess we can just do a bit of bench racing together.
Looking forward to doing a couple of skids and meeting up with some new people. See you over there. Safe travels. 8)

Jimson
Thanks for starting the thread. I think the photos do the bike more justice than reality.. ::) The old girl is due for a big birthday after this year. She's getting a bit scratched, chipped and untidy in the flesh. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how it faces up against some of the other XLs over that side.

Cheers to all
Steven
Best is in the West !!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2009, 08:50:56 pm »
sorry Steve - just looked at thee numbers etc and though pre 75 open.  Certainly looking forward to catcthing up - it has been a while.  Bit funny eh - both from the West and our next catch up is in Queensland?  Are you going to Wandering?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2009, 09:06:18 pm »
Yep XL and Sidecar at Wandering. 
Probably catching up with a lot of WA people, in Qld that I haven't seen for a while.
 cheers Steven
Best is in the West !!

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2009, 03:00:44 pm »
Just started building a XL350 side port racer & I would like to ask you how you got the CR tank to fit, did you remove the std XL tank mounts from the frame, also what are the guards off CR as well? The plans is to do it CR style like the old Curtis Honda with Hooker header pipe that came with the bike, will have to make the muffler as that was missing.

How did you CDI work out?

Thanks
Tony
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 09:16:29 pm »
Just started building a XL350 side port racer & I would like to ask you how you got the CR tank to fit, did you remove the std XL tank mounts from the frame, also what are the guards off CR as well? The plans is to do it CR style like the old Curtis Honda with Hooker header pipe that came with the bike, will have to make the muffler as that was missing.
How did you CDI work out?
Thanks
Tony

Tony
Sorry for the delay in replying. By the time Alison has finished with the computer for the night I am ready to hit the sack.
The tank picks up the same mounting holes at the front of the tank and similarly at the back. The tank is CR125 (76) I think it was. (red tank anyway) . It sits a bit high at the front but really is'nt too bad.
Guards are CR.
Seat is off a PE250.
CDI has worked well. However I would not mount it like I have again. I think from previous posts you will see the photos of the plate we made up which mounted to the side cover. The next version I will set back off the side cover so that the mounting plate is behind the rotor and just clear of the cam chain. The way I have it now, it is too hard to set up the timing as you cannot see the coils easily.
As far as the product, I think its good value for the dollar. and has not let me down yet. Buy two hand have a full set of spares
Good luck with your project. I really believe the XL is a great motor that even when modified sensibly provides great performance and reliability.
Cheers
Steven
Best is in the West !!

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 10:25:19 am »
Thanks Steven, I have most parts to make the transformation, I was thinking all I would do is fit a hot cam, 36mm or 38mm carb? & a 1 3/4 header pipe, don't know about over boring as hear the gearbox blow with to much done to the engine, what do you think?

Cheers
Tony
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 12:33:13 am »
Tony
I went with a VM38 Mikuni from TD Hatrick, They supplied it all jetted to suit the following:
Cylinder was bored 87mm to suit an XR400 piston (96 onwards). This makes it to 420cc which I think is very useable and not over the top. This leaves very little liner, but once you are up for a re bore then you can fit a new liner with a bit more meat. You could then run oversize pistons as required.
The cam was standard XL350, ground to a sports XR75 Webb profile. What that means I have no idea, but seems to work ok.
Cam timing is retarded a couple of degrees. I think I worked it out to be about 3 deg but not sure right at the moment. As the cam chain drive sprocket is not keyed to the crank, inadvertently it was replaced slightly off line, and has proved to run to good revs like that. I have a vernier cam sprocket to dispose off if you are interested. We do not run any fly wheel other than the little rotor from the ignition kit.
I have had the head modified to run roller bearings on the cam. Again a successful mod.
I am not sure of the pipe diameter but think that it is up where you are heading.
As far as gearbox's go, I have done in third gear once. I think the biggest killer is coming down under hard power off of jumps. If you can control the urge to land under power I am sure the life of the gearbox will be extended. I had been looking at gearbox ratios for a while before I did in the 350 gears. I had an SL250 box which I removed the gears from and fitted to the 350  shafts. The 250 ratios are much closer together. I found that it was a better bike to ride and am hoping that the load on 3 and 4 wont be as bad.
I still run a cush drive back wheel. With the crap suspension we have and the lack of ability I dont believe the advantages of a light back wheel counter a longer living gearbox.
You could ask pretty well anyone in the WA club about the black XL and I think you will hear that it is pretty competitive. I have been impressed with mine and think with a good frame and better suspension they would be unbeatable (nearly) Other than that they are a bloody reliable, Long living, competitive and fun to ride bike. What more can I say. :)
Cheers
Steven
Best is in the West !!