Author Topic: Fire danger  (Read 18011 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Fire danger
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »
My friend has been found laying with his two beloved horses, most likely was doing his utmost to calm them. It would have been quick in that hell.
I see BigK last posted at 9.03 Today that is good!

I am at a loss for words..... losing your mates before their time is the worst.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 09:45:56 AM »
This is an awful tragedy. I've heard this morning that an old family friends daughter and son in law are missing in the King Lake area. I'm not close to this family by any stretch but I still find myself overcome with sadness as I write this.
Has anyone heard from Geoff Morris? How is the Broadford area as a whole?

My heart goes out those who are personally affected or have family and loved ones impacted by this tragedy. This might be the most wonderful country in the world but it still comes back to bite us every now and then.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:51:49 PM by firko »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009, 10:07:16 AM »
This number for GMC just keeps ringing,maybe someelse closer can try it. :)
03 57841446
Best is in the West !!

Offline 2 shocks

• A-Grade
  • Gods Country !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2009, 10:30:32 AM »
Mr Maico just called to say, he has spoken with Keith Stacker & Paul & his family were able to get out of King Lake in time & all are safe, not sure if his house is gone tho. Its a time of worry & fear at the moment, as the toll continues to climb, its heart breaking.

Mrs Maico #54

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
keith told me today that his house is ok but the shed s  and all the trees around  etc coped it

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 11:00:49 AM »
My deepest condolences to anyone who has lost someone, or knows of people lost, in these atrocious fires.

I live in 20 acres of bush but I am surrounded by thousands of acres of it and have had 2 close calls.
The first I packed up the wife and kids and sent them to my mother's in Ballarat.
The fire came within a half a kilometre which may seem like it is nowhere near but I was on the roof with a mate hosing amidst the flying embers and could hear the roar of the fire like it was across the road. A fortunate wind change probably saved us. The second didnt get within about 4 km's of me but what did happen was about a dozen Rovers members turned up to help me prepare and evacuate belongings.
Maybe they were just protecting the place we celebrate Boxing Day every year but the support was phenominal. My wife was blown away by people she didn't know rushing to help a mate in need.

That is about the only good that will come from this disaster, apart from the suvivors of course, the way Aussies will band together to help out each other.

I have been lucky.

Neale
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Macca#35

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 12:49:03 PM »
Its been a very tragic time for all. To the Viper clan, has anyone herd from Ray Stevens as he lives in king lake. Hope he and his family are safe. I think the Dodds live king lake as well?
Macca

firko

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2009, 01:56:52 PM »
This is an awful tragedy. I've heard this morning that an old family friends daughter and son in law are missing in the King Lake area. I'm not close to this family by any stretch but I still find myself overcome with sadness as I write this. .
Good news update, my friends daughter and family got out OK but apparently lost their house, cars and one of their dogs. One of the cars was an almost finished Cobra replica that he'd pumped a motza into. In the end though its nothing compared to their lives. You can always build another car but family are irreplacable.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2009, 02:04:30 PM »
That's good news Firko !

Let's hope there are many more tales like that to follow eh !!! I have no desire to hear more bad stuff but if that is the worst we are exposed to then so be it - those poor souls in Vic are living it and it must be hell !!!

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2009, 02:41:09 PM »
i got an email today from MA Victoria to say the State Motorcycle complex at Broadford was unaffected and the Army are using it as a base while doing clean up etc.

i can only assume that GMC's place is safe as he is a Km or 2 away.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:17:54 PM by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2009, 02:46:25 PM »
I have just spoken to Geoff GMC and he is fine they have no power,so not too much can be done at work and home.
cheers Alison
Best is in the West !!

Mick

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »
I just spoke to Peter ( Drakie ) Drakeford and he tells me that Steve and his family at Castella were the Vinduro was held are all safe, Drakie tells me that all the bush around his property was burnt but house saved and for those that were there would remember the hut they had there has been burnt down, but everything else is ok this is good news to here,,,,Drakie also tells me that Paul Stacker is safe.

Mick.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:26:29 AM by Mick »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2009, 03:19:53 PM »
Thanks for the concern guys. Fire was mostly heading south from us but a wind change brought it closer, it stopped about 2-3 k's from the track, about 6-7 from us. have been without power since my last post, no one knows when it will be back on. A minor inconvenience compared to many. Am in the local library at the moment, have a town meeting in a few minutes.
My sister & husband are at Heathcote Junction & had to leave, still arn't allowed back in. A nephew lives in Wanding & stayed, he's feeding everones animals but if he leaves they won't let him back in.
Another Nephew lives in Kinglake West, he was stuck in Melb. while his wife & 4 kids had to survive by themselves.
By some miracle all family & houses are okay but have devastation all around them. Their gods smiled upon them.

I believe it started in a local pine plantation where a few have been lit before, hope they catch the turd.
I would like to parcachute them into the fire..... without a parachute.

Still a lot of shit going on around us but we should be fine.

Cheers, Geoff
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
Glad all is well Geoff.

Hope to See you at viper this year riding, if you don't have a bike ready, there is a CR250 here for you.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

mx250

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2009, 03:45:48 PM »

I would like to parcachute them into the fire..... without a parachute.

Nah, give them a parachute; let them enjoy the view on the way down and the time to reflect on there firey demise  ;) :P.