Author Topic: "L" Plater  (Read 1795 times)

Tom

"L" Plater
« on: December 21, 2008, 03:44:37 PM »
G'day all im 17 just scored a 1978 possibly 79  :-[ XL250s  ;D and i plan to get my motorcycle L's on it. We brang it home stuffed around wif the exhaust cause it wasnt properly adjusted  ;) haha and gave her a good couple of kicks and bang she went  :D needs some work but she runs( even idles nicely  8) ) and a clean up is there any majour things i should look out for with these old beasts? thanks for reading
                                     Tom

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: "L" Plater
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:06:36 PM »
The heads have a limited lifspan (usually rooted by 75-90,000 km's even with plenty of oil changes) and it is very important to make sure the electrics are well waterproofed around the engine. The one I had would stop running with a well aimed wet sneeze, use silicon to insulate it properly. Ditch the 23" front wheel for a 21" it will handle better and tyre choice is obviously greater. Have fun they chugg along nicely on the street.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:12:13 PM »
to correct geometry after changing to 21 inch wheel, you used to be able to buy fork caps from White Brothers to be able to slide the forks out further. and yeah no oil filter so regular oil changes are required. ive seen theses motors destroyed and have a hard life when people have been to slack to change the oil which is so important when they dont have a paper oil filter.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 05:41:11 PM »
Its good they have introduced some new laws so you can ride bigger bikes as a learner i think they must have finally realised some of the 250's can smoke other 600's im looking forward to getting my learners on my pe400 next year and i might get the 74gt80 registered for a laugh too dads mate has a 1982 xl250 thats like brand new they are very good to cruise on but i found when we were on a road together the pe just kills the xl but they are totally different bikes and the xl's are very good to cruise on be careful with universal tyres in mud its not always fun to slide off ive learnt that the hard way and if you do come off they can be a pain to get going again thats a very nice looking original bike should clean up really well thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:00:33 PM »
Nice bike Tom,
I've been cruising around on a 98 KLR  250,but would love something a bit older like yours ,or something British like a little BSA.
cheers and safe riding out there  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »
Theirs nothing like the freedom of getting your L's at 17 3/4 but try & keep this freedom for the trails guys, theirs too many nutters on the roads.
I only lasted six months, & had a few close calls within that time as well.

Race tracks are definately a safer place, everyone goes in the same direction (usually anyway :D)

Ride safe guys, VMX needs you, as well as your family.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/