Author Topic: How to straighten YZ brake stay  (Read 835 times)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
How to straighten YZ brake stay
« on: September 23, 2008, 05:42:01 PM »
I have seen so many of these bent I used to think they where made with a bend.  Then I saw a straight one :o :o.
There is obviously a way to straighten bent tube - can someone let me in on the secret please  ::)

Believe me this tip will be used worldwide, so you may want to consider patenting before posting here  ;D ;D

Thanks in advance for any help ;).
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

mx250

Re: How to straighten YZ brake stay
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »
You mean part# 42?

If it this round tube you can straighten it with heat but you'll probably still have a kink in the tube. You can yucky putty ::) , sand and spray. Other than that it's cut and shut with new tubing or replace with good second hand or NOS.

Or bling it up with a new mechined up Ally replacement  8). You know you want to ;D.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 07:17:42 PM »
Part number 42 it is.

I'm trying not to totally break the bling meter Graeme  ;D ;D  So the ally one may be a last resort.  I am commited to the standard one as I just paid $42US for part #43  ::).  Apart from that the blokes on here will give me too much of a bagging if I go too bling.
One idea I had was heating up the tube and driving another rod down the middle, but I suppose a kink in the other direction  is likely.

I think finding a straight one would be a challenge,  but potentially worth considering ::).

I would try the heat and straighten, but every time you hit it to straighten it I'll leave a crease.  What have I got to lose apart from a bent rid and an expensive bodgy size spherical bearing that doesn't fit anywhere else  :o

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Online oldfart

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 07:48:09 PM »
Drill a hole into a piece of hardwood and bevel the opposite ends of drilled hole @ 45 degrees . Place the shaft or rod in  the hole and apply even pressure down or up to suit , before the bend - centre of bend - and after.
Most of mine are bent cold
If heat is applied it should be on the stretched  side only
The least flexible component of any system is the user.

Offline mainline

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 07:48:53 PM »
might be worth sending this guy a message. He dug up a NOS one for my bike.

http://stores.ebay.com/NW-Vintage-Cycle-Parts
Have I mentioned how much I like Volvo's?

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 07:57:27 PM »
Thanks Mainline - I have got many parts off him and have to admit that I have not tried the NOS path yet as I assumed the stocks would have been used up decades ago.  I'll pop over there and have a look.

Any chance a drawing or some more instructions Oldfart.  My direction following has never been the best.
BTW I notice a few photos of a very attractive looking RM with a 4 stroke in it at Tamborine.  The bloke riding it looks to know what he's doing  ;) ;D ;D  How come the number on the plate is 90 ??  Are you getting a discount for bulk with Brad ??

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »
NFG on the NOS I'm afraid - tried wallet bandit, S and S and NWVCP - all to no avail.
I will try oldfart's method (or my interpretation of it) and see what happens.  Otherwise I will try the wanted section ::)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:49:30 PM »
put it on the other way round then ride the bike like you stole it an presto  ;D it will bend back the other way.  ::) jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

mx250

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:27:24 PM »
Replacing would be the easiest, but if shove comes to push and you get stuck I reckon cut and hut would the way to go. If you measure the dia I'll check some of the frame rails that I'm about to 'recycle' to see if I have the right dia and length, if you want.