Author Topic: Boge Mulholland LTG parts.  (Read 1697 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Boge Mulholland LTG parts.
« on: February 10, 2023, 10:55:09 AM »
G'day Chaps, I just bought some NOS 15" Boge LTG's (still in the box), trying to decide whether to use them or put them on the shelf, I'll probably use them (lucky I don't have a super rare factory bike in the shed ;-) ). I hear & read that they tend to need to come apart often, anyone got any parts, or even old shocks to use for parts?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Boge Mulholland LTG parts.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 03:49:30 PM »

Parts are super rare now john. I too have a pair of NOS
LTG i picked up for $50 and scored a set of genuine springs off a good mate for nix.

Not the best shock out there but not the worst and better than stock. Besides the emulsions which are orange aswell,the road shocks are black and there are 2 types of LTG, Long fins and short fins, the long fins can foul on chains. just a heads up as im sure a few parts would interchange. I think i still have a set of absolutely stuffed emulsions i should have thrown years ago but I may need an eye for something some time  and the shafts and the rest are Im sure stuffed.

For seals and shafts see how you go with generic but its the body caps that seem to be made of cheese so treat them carefully. Once in a blue moon some parts turn up on ebay and there was a guy in new york who was selling the last of his inventory but this was a while ago.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 09:30:11 AM »
Abit of stuff on evil bay now
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 12:43:50 PM »
Abit of stuff on evil bay now

Yep saw that, I ordered the seals, not paying near $500 Oz for those rusty old umits :-)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 12:45:44 PM by John Orchard »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 01:14:31 PM »
You can probably get parts needed from seal suppliers Not much back then was especially made for shocks. They used seals already made for other equpment. I'd say if you really want them go ahead, theres always a soloution. Worst case scenario go to different size shaft, make a new seal head or whatever.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 01:22:47 PM »
You can probably get parts needed from seal suppliers Not much back then was especially made for shocks. They used seals already made for other equpment. I'd say if you really want them go ahead, theres always a soloution. Worst case scenario go to different size shaft, make a new seal head or whatever.

And by the time you do all that , you can buy something adjustable and modern for similar  money or less.  (and paint them red , if that is what you want ) https://hyperpro.com.au/store/shocks/3612-adjustable-emulsion-gas-twin-1-pair/ 
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 06:25:12 PM »

And by the time you do all that , you can buy something adjustable and modern for similar  money or less.  (and paint them red , if that is what you want ) https://hyperpro.com.au/store/shocks/3612-adjustable-emulsion-gas-twin-1-pair/
No listing for a TS/TM 125 and no prices on the units mate.
The seal head job and new shaft is not that hard or expensive.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 10:27:58 PM »

And by the time you do all that , you can buy something adjustable and modern for similar  money or less.  (and paint them red , if that is what you want )
https://hyperpro.com.au/store/shocks/3612-adjustable-emulsion-gas-twin-1-pair/

[/quote]

BUT for true '70's period wank factor, LTG's are the ducks nuts, man I'd own them even if I didn't have a bike to put them on ! Or I'd buy a bike just to put them on :-D Thunderbird 3
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 10:30:13 PM by John Orchard »

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 11:04:47 AM »
Thanks , that's great to know that some people are after them . Next time we replace a set with new shocks , I will offer them to you . It happens less and less now , because there not many barn finds anymore like 10-15 years ago . There is Konis and the odd Marzoccis going in the bin sometimes as well .OEM shocks I always to keep them now as spares ,in case the bike gets sold . I remember advertising a mint T500 a few years ago .The two blokes from Sydney flew in and going over the bike thoroughly. In the end they said "If you had the original shocks ,we would have bought it at that price "  I quickly retrieved the original from the bin and said "There you are Sir" ......
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 03:21:10 PM »

How much can you make a correct shaft for ? That is , using C45 rod , machine the ends , harden the outside .5mm  and then hard chrome it? How much would one shaft cost ?

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 12:49:30 AM »
Good afternoon
A shock shaft is usually made from round hard chromed stock to any length you wish. Round hard chromed stock is used in hydraulics and can be purchased from place that repair or build hydraulic rams etc. I got 12mm thick 2m long piece for about 20 dollars. Than you only need a hacksaw and a lathe to make it to correct length. Also a seal head can be made from round aluminium stock. Bushing, o-rings and shaft seals can also be purchased from various place for a few dollars. Not everyone has 1200 dollars to buy a news set of shocks and some people like to use as much original parts as possible and have period correct bike. However some people just want to buy news set of shocks and thats it  :) :)

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 12:12:28 PM »
I am aware of the 12mm chromatised rods . Althoug the are not hardened , they will OK for a stationary restoration. What about the other  sizes 11, 11.5 11.8 ,12.5 12.7  and 13 mm . Are they available ?

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2023, 06:38:00 PM »
Hello
That i dont know. One I have is hard chromed(same as any shock shaft)12mm f7 tolerance and it is 20MnV6 material. It is also available in 14,15,16 and so on diameter.  What I am trying to say is that if you want to have period corect looking shocks or repair shocks where replacement parts are no longer available, this is an option. I have rebuild 2 pairs of old ohlins(new shafts) and a set of RM125 shocks(ohlins 12mm seal heads) and they work just fine. Most of the time what is damaged is shaft(hard chromed part is worn),seal head is leaking and teflon strip on the piston is worn.Shims etc is mostly ok and usable.
Isnt there a lot of vintage Betors, Marzocchis etc. with ohlins internals around just because people want to have a correct loking vintage bike? But some people just want  shock absorbers and thats fine  :) :)